|Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Recipe |
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 28 mins
- 1 flax egg = 1 ½ T. of ground flax seed, 3 T. cold water
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup wheat germ (or other grain!)
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. salt
- 3 ½ T unsalted butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup chopped dried fruit
- optional: ¼ cup chopped nuts
- Make your flax egg: Combine 1 ½ T. of ground flax seed with 3 T. cold water and set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of oats, 1 cup all purpose flour, ½ cup wheat germ (or other grain!) ½ cup dark brown sugar, 1 t. baking soda, ½ t. cinnamon and ¼ t. salt.
- Melt 3 ½ T of unsalted butter in another bowl.
- Stir in ½ cup pure maple syrup, 2 t. pure vanilla extract and flax egg.
- Pour the wet mixture into the large bowl of dry and stir together.
- Chop your favorite dried fruits to make ⅔ cup and add it to the dough.
- Stir in ¼ cup more all purpose flour and with floured hands, pat the dough ¾ inch thick onto a floured surface.
- Cut out 36 small shapes or 18 regular/large shapes.
- Place the cut-outs on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Let sit on the pan for 2 minutes and then remove.
Recipe by Cleverly Simple® at http://www.cleverlysimple.com/healthy-oatmeal-cookie-recipe/