|Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe |
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- 1 -15 oz. can of black beans
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 T. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 T. of chopped green chilies
- 1 egg (optional)
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup + 2 T. panko + ⅓ cup panko
- Drain and rinse 1 -15 oz. can of black beans and pour the beans and the remaining ingredients into the food processor: ¼ cup chopped red onion and ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves, 1 T. fresh squeezed lime juice, 2 T. of chopped green chilies, 1 egg (optional), ¾ tsp. cumin, 1 garlic clove, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper and ½ cup + 2 T. panko.
- Turn on the food processor for 1 minute (scraping the sides halfway through) until you get a thick and consistent puree. If you are not using an egg, you may need to add a little extra panko or use an egg substitute, like a "flax egg"
- Pour another ⅓ cup of panko on a large plate.
- Grease your hands with some oil and shape a patty in the palm of your hand.
- Coat the bottom and top of each patty with the extra panko and if you can, refrigerate them for a couple of hours to harden up.
- To fry, heat up 2 T. of oil or butter in a heavy bottom pan on the stovetop. Cook on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes then flip them over for another 2 minutes. Keep on flipping them if you like them darker OR To bake, heat oven to 425 degrees and lay burgers on a greased cookie sheet. Bake them for at about 5 minutes each side.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite burger toppings.
Recipe by Cleverly Simple® at http://www.cleverlysimple.com/black-bean-burger-recipe/