|Juice Cookies - Made with tart cherry juice! |
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs or flax eggs
- ½ cup cherry juice
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Powdered sugar
- Cream together ½ cup of shortening and ½ cup sugar.
- Add 3 regular eggs OR 3 flax eggs to the mixer and beat on medium for 10 seconds.
- Combine one teaspoon of almond extract to ½ cup tart cherry juice or other not-from-concentrate juice and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, ½ tsp salt and 1 T. baking powder.
- Taking turns, add a little juice mixture and then a little dry mixture. Go back and forth with the mixer turned on low until you have everything incorporated.
- Beat on medium-high for 20 seconds.
- Since the finished dough will be sticky, plop a ball of sticky dough into a bowl of powdered sugar. Generously coat and then quickly pass it back and forth between the palms of your hands until nearly all the sugar falls off.
- Bake the dough balls for 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. The cookies are done when they are slightly golden on the underside and puffed in the middle.
- If a glaze is desired, mix together powdered sugar and more cherry juice.
Recipe by Cleverly Simple® at http://www.cleverlysimple.com/juice-cookies-made-tart-cherry-juice/