Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 27 mins
- ½ cup whole walnuts
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 1 t. ground cloves
- ½ t. salt.
- 15 oz. cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup of melted butter or oil
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 ½ T. molasses
- 2 "flax eggs' or 2 regular eggs, beaten.
- Toast ½ cup whole walnuts in a 325 degree oven for 6-8 minutes until golden, but not brown; chop and set aside.
- In a big bowl, stir together 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup rolled oats, ¼ cup ground flax seed, 1 t. each of baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cloves and ½ t. salt.
- In a smaller bowl,whisk together 15 oz. of butternut squash, 1 cup of melted butter or oil, 1 cup of honey,1 ½ T. molasses and either two "flax eggs' or two regular eggs.
- Gently pour the squash mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Stir in your chopped walnuts and put the entire bowl of dough into your refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a small scoop, add your dough balls onto a greased baking sheet or one covered with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 minutes or until they spring back at you when you touch the tops. Allow them to sit on the pan for a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
Recipe by Cleverly Simple® at http://www.cleverlysimple.com/butternut-squash-cookies/