|Blackberry Crumble Recipe |
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla, divided.
- 6 - 6 oz. packages of rinsed blackberries.
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup of white sugar.
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups oats, 1 cup flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt and 1½ teaspoon baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, melt ½ cup butter and add it to ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 beaten egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk it all together.
- Pour your butter mixture into the oat mixture and stir until you get a moist oat crumble.
- Press ⅔ of the oat crumble into a your favorite 13x9 pan and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, dump out 6 - 6 oz. packages of rinsed blackberries. To that, add 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice and ½ cup of white sugar.
- Using medium heat, cook the filling down until the sugar melts and you see a deep red color on your spoon.
- When the blackberry filling starts to gently boil, add 4 Tablespoons of cornstarch (or 3 Tablespoons potato starch) mixed with 4 Tablespoons water. Stir well just until the filling starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot filling onto your bottom crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining ⅓ oat mixture on top of the filling with your hands.
- Bake the squares in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Recipe by Cleverly Simple® : Recipes & DIY From Our Farmhouse at http://www.cleverlysimple.com/blackberry-crumble-recipe/