Every Friday night we make pizza. My hope is that we, as a family, all look forward to pizza and movies each Friday as a time to relax from a busy week. (As busy as a toddler can be these days. ) I almost felt that I was set to live the rest of my life with homemade soggy middle pizza… until now. I finally found a homemade pizza crust recipe that’s crispy when baked in the oven. It’s easy to make. It tastes good. What more could a girl want?
To make this recipe a success, I highly recommend baking at a high temperature and using a dark baking sheet (as pictured above). I know people swear by a pizza stone but I was never able to get my pizza onto the stone after it had been heated. Pizza on the floor is never a good thing.
This recipe is inspired by Pizza Dough III Recipe found at allrecipes.com. I use my bread machine set at the dough setting.
Homemade Pizza Dough
from Lynette’s Kitchen @ CleverlySimple.com
**Makes 1 large pizza.
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 package)
1 Cup warm water (110 degrees F)
2 1/2 Cups bread flour
2 TB olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white sugar
Olive Oil to spread on baking sheet
Bread Machine Directions:
1. In bread machine combine warm water, olive oil, salt and white sugar.
2. Add bread flour.
3. Add dry yeast.
4. Start bread machine on the dough setting. (See your instruction manual. My bread machine has a pizza setting.)
5. After two minutes check to makes sure the dough is coming off the of the sides of the bowl as the bread machine mixes it. Add more flour if needed. Continue cycle.
or Traditional Directions:
1. Dissolve sugar in warm water.
2. Add yeast and stir. Let stand until creamy. (Approximately 10 minutes)
3. In a large bowl combine bread flour, olive oil, salt and the yeast mixture. Stir well to combine.
4. Knead in mixer with bread hook until the dough has formed. (At least 5 minutes.)
5. Cover and let rise until the dough has doubled in volume. (About 30 minutes.)
Directions Continued for both Traditional and Bread Machine Dough:
6. Preheat oven to 450 F
7. Spread olive oil evenly onto dark baking sheet. (about 2 TB)
8. Spread the dough onto the baking sheet. (The dough will be sticky.)
9. Prick the dough with a fork.
10. Bake for 7 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and add sauce, cheese and your toppings of your choice.
12. Bake for another 7-10 minutes.
*The Dough will be sticky. I usually rub olive oil on my hands to help spread the dough. You can also use flour.
*After the dough has baked for the first 7 minutes. Run a spatula between the dough and the baking sheet to loosen the dough from the pan. You are then ready to add your toppings.
*Double the recipe to make two large pizzas.
- Pinned It & Made It : Kale Chips
- Leftover Makeover : Calzone with Spaghetti Sauce
- Cornbread Beef Casserole Recipe
- Red, White and Blue Fruit and Cheese Side
- Red, White and Blue Strawberries
- Pinned & Tried It : Strong Iced Coffee w/ No Brewing Required
- Pinned it & Tried It : Brownie Smores Recipe
- Grilled Avocado with Salsa
- Tortilla Pizza Recipe
- No Egg & No Milk Banana Bread Recipe