I’ve been experimenting to find a good, easy homemade sweet yeast roll recipe. My dad is one who spends about 5-10 minutes picking up bread at the grocery store trying to find the most fresh baked good. He claims it’s a science. I thought I could give some time back to his life by making these last week at a family dinner. They turned out so great, I wanted to share!
This recipe makes approximately 15 rolls.
Here’s what you need:
1/2 C warm water (110 degrees)
1/2 C warm milk
1/3 C white sugar
1 egg (room temperature)
1/3 C butter (room temperature)
1 tsp salt
4 C flour (I use bread flour.)
1 (.25) pkg. active dry yeast
1. Warm the bowl. Place hot water in your mixer bowl and then empty.
2. Measure water and milk, then heat in microwave to desired temperature of 110 degrees (about 1 min.). Add milk and water to mixing bowl.
3. Add sugar to milk and water mixture, then stir until sugar is dissolved.
4. Add the yeast to the liquid and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
5. Add egg, butter and salt, then mix.
If you forgot to set your egg out to warm to room temperature (what I do every time) you can warm it by placing it in a mug with hot water for 2 minutes. It warms right up!
6. Add flour one cup at a time while kneading in mixer. When all flour is added, knead in mixer for 5 minutes.
7. Warm your oven to 200 degrees for 1 minute and then turn OFF. Place dough in oven to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
8. After one hour, punch the dough and place back in mixer and knead for 1 minute.
9. Grease your muffin pan and divide dough. Take remaining dough and divide, then place on cookie sheet. (if you don’t have another muffin pan, like me)
10. Let rise for 35 minutes or until dough rises about 1 inch above the pan.
11. Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
If you have remaining dough you’ve let rise on the cookie sheet, transfer it to the muffin pan and bake your second batch.
12. Remove rolls promptly and place on cooling rack.
13. Enjoy a hot roll!