A few weeks ago strawberries were on sale, and so because I was longing for fresh fruit that tasted fresh from the garden, I decided to buy five pounds of strawberries. (They were $1 each!) Well, that might have been a little ambitious. Even fresh(er) strawberries tend to go bad at some point. 🙂 I dug into my favorite church cookbook and found a recipe for homemade strawberry bread. My kids love banana bread, so how different could it be?
Well, it was a big hit! This bread is a heavy bread that is best served as a dessert or for a great snack. It’s very moist and I can’t believe how easy it was to make! This is a perfect recipe to use when strawberries are on sale or when they’re in season. Made with fresh strawberries, you can really taste the difference!
Homemade Strawberry Bread Recipe
2 Cups sugar
1 Cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 Cups flour
1 Cup quick-cooking oats
1 TB cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Cups crashed fresh strawberries (a little over one pound)
1/2 Cups nuts (Optional, as I didn’t use them.)
The first thing I did, as I do with every baking recipe, was to combine the dry ingredients of flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
After washing strawberries, I cut them in halves and added them to my mixer. I mixed them slowly at first and then more quickly so that I could crush them. Don’t start the mixer too fast, as I learned the hard way. Strawberries will jump out of the bowl! You could also use a potato masher to crush your strawberries as well.
Here’s what they looked like when ready. I needed two cups, so I did this process again and then put the strawberries to the side.
In the empty mixing bowl, cream the eggs and sugar. Add oil and vanilla and beat. Mix in the dry ingredients and then finally the strawberries. Your batter should look like what’s above. It’s amazing how a fresh strawberry batter looks slight pink but not the dark color you would expect.
Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 1 hour. This recipe will make two loaves. Two very moist and delicious strawberry loaves. Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 Cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 TB cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Cups crashed fresh strawberries (a little over one pound)
- ½ Cups nuts (Optional, as I didn't use them.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease two bread loaf pans.
- Mix together in a bowl, flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Crush the strawberries to make two cups of berries. (I used the mixer.)
- In an empty mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Add the oil and vanilla and beat again.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Add the strawberries and the nuts. Mix well.
- Pour into two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees fahrenheit. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Love strawberries? You might want to top this bread with this delicious Easy Strawberry Jam Recipe or you may also enjoy this Fresh Strawberry Dessert Recipe!