The very best old fashioned made from scratch apple dumplings! Tart apples sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, wrapped in a pie crust hug.
For the Pie Crust:
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour (Use 2 cups of regular all purpose and 2 cups of pastry flour for a flakier crust.)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 and ½ cups of chilled shortening
- 1 Tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Cup of water
Apple Portion of Dumplings
- 3 large jonagold apples or pie apples
- 1 batch of the pie crust
- dash of Cinnamon
- 8 teaspoons Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
To Make the Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, add the following: flour, sugar and salt. Blend together with a whisk.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in 1 and ½ cups of chilled shortening. Shortening and flour should be well distributed.
- Crack an egg (cold from refrigerator) into ½ cup of cold water. Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and mix well with a fork.
- Make a dip in the center of flour mixture and pour in the egg/water mixture. Stir with a fork gently to blend wet and dry ingredients until just moistened and dough leaves side of bowl. Can be chilled before rolling.
- Roll onto a lightly floured pastry mat and create your pie crust.
To Make the Apple Dumplings:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare pie crust. Roll and cut into 6½ inch squares.
- Peel and slice apples into chunks.
- On each square of piecrust place apple chunks in the middle. Top with ¼ pat of butter, 2 heaping teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and dash of cinnamon to taste.
- Fold up sides and pinch to seal.
- Place apple dumpling in 11 by 11-glass pan. Four will fit nicely in the pan.
- Top each dumpling with ¼ pat of butter. Sprinkle additional sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon over all dumplings.
- Repeat process until you have one dish with four apple dumplings.
- Microwave pan of dumplings at (1100 power) for 5 minutes at 70% power followed by 1½ minutes at 80% power.
- Remove from microwave and bake for about 10 minutes in 450-degree oven. Crust should be lightly browned and apple dumpling juices sizzling.
Before making the crust, make sure to chill the shortening!
You can can make the pie crust squares a day ahead, place each on a larger square of wax paper. Place in Tupperware, and refrigerate or freeze. If frozen, thaw before making dumplings.
It’s okay, if top is open to your dumpling before baking. However, if the sides do not seal, you have too many
You will have some pie crust left over. Spread on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and enjoy!
- Calories: 667