If you’re craving a hearty dessert try this recipe for old-fashioned baked apple dumplings. The dumplings are made with fresh apples and spices wrapped in a homemade flaky crust.
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups of chilled shortening
- 1 Tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of water
- 6 large apples
- pie dough
- dash of Cinnamon
- 16 teaspoons Sugar
- 8 teaspoons Brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
To Make the Pie Crust:
- Mix: In a large bowl, add the following: flour, sugar and salt. Blend together with a whisk. Using a pastry cutter, cut in 1 and ½ cups of chilled shortening. Shortening and flour should be well distributed.
- Add: Crack an egg (cold from refrigerator) into ½ cup of cold water. Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and mix well with a fork. Make a dip in the center of flour mixture and pour in the egg/water mixture. Stir with a fork gently to blend wet and dry ingredients until just moistened and dough leaves side of bowl.
- Prep: Roll the pie dough flat and divide into eight 6 1/2 inch squares.
To Make the Apple Dumplings:
- Prep: Preheat oven to 450˚ F. Prepare pie crust by rolling and cut into 6½ inch squares. Peel and slice apples into 1/2 inch squares.
- Assemble: On each square of piecrust place apple chunks in the middle. Top with ¼ pat of butter, 2 heaping teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and dash of cinnamon to taste. Fold up sides and pinch to seal.
- Prepare: Place apple dumpling into two square microwave safe baking pans (4 in each). Top each dumpling with ¼ pat of butter. Sprinkle additional sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon over all dumplings. Repeat process until you have one dish with four apple dumplings.
- Microwave & Bake: Microwave pan of dumplings at (1100 power microwave) for 5 minutes at 70% power followed by 1½ minutes at 80% power. Remove from microwave and bake for about 10 minutes in 450˚ F oven. Crust should be lightly browned and apple dumpling juices sizzling.
Keep the shortening cold: As with any pie crust recipe, you’ll want to make sure your shortening is very cold before starting. In this recipe, we used Crisco so I made sure to put it in the refrigerator a few hours before making the crust.
Flakier Crust: You can also ensure a more flaky crust by using half pastry flour and half all-purpose flour. If you don’t have pastry flour, that’s okay as I didn’t the day I made this recipe. However, for those flaky crust loving people – it’s worth the investment.
Make Ahead: Make the pie crust the day before and cut it into squares. The squares can be separated by wax paper or parchment paper in an airtight container and then stored in the refrigerator. Make this pie crust recipe weeks in advance and freeze the squares. Just make sure to put them in a storage bag once they are separated by wax paper. Thaw before using them in this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/2 dumpling
- Calories: 667
- Sugar: 14.6
- Sodium: 327.7
- Fat: 42.6
- Carbohydrates: 64.8
- Protein: 7.5
- Cholesterol: 30.9
Keywords: Apple Dumplings