Moist old fashioned raisin cake recipe made by boiling the raisins. The perfect autumn cake to make year after year.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 T. baking soda
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground cloves
- 1 t. ground nutmeg
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Combine 1 cup of raisins with 1 cup of water on the stove top. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 3 cups flour, 1 Tbsp baking soda and 1 tsp each of ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- When the 5 minutes is up, turn the heat off and mix in 1/2 cup shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until the shortening is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Make a well in the center of your flour mixture and pour in the hot raisins. Stir it all together.
- Add 1/4 cup more water and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Spread it into your favorite large casserole dish and bake it at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- When done, a toothpick will be clean when inserted and the top of the cake will be a crunchy golden brown.
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Cuisine: North American