Bacon Potato Casserole is a delicious side dish that is packed with flavor with it’s layers of bacon, potatoes, and cheese. Learn how to make this recipe easily for a special side dish that’s sure to please.
You know I’m always looking for quick easy, and delicious side dishes to share at any time of the year. We’ve always enjoyed cheesy potato casserole during our holiday meals, but this year I wanted to bring something new to the table.
Why You’ll Love This Side Dish
When I found this -packed with flavor- potato dish, I knew I had to try it. It had my attention at bacon. It kept my attention with its super simple way of creating a flavorful side dish without lots of prep or dishes. Here are a few other reasons why I love this recipe.
- It’s super easy to make by simply stacking the ingredients into layers. No mixing is required – which means no extra dishes.
- It uses hashbrown potatoes. No peeling potatoes.
- It’s a tried-and-try vintage recipe that my grandma lovingly cut out to share with us all.
We tend to laugh at the amount of evaporated milk I keep on hand, but when you’re in love with old vintage recipes like one, you find you use it a lot! Here are the main ingredients of this dish.
- frozen hash browns
- sharp cheddar cheese
- evaporated milk
- seasoning salt
How to Make Baked Bacon Potato Casserole
This really is the easiest recipe ever. Trust me on this one. I love good recipes that don’t take hours to come together and taste great!
- Prep: Butter a square casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Assemble: Layer half the potatoes, half the onion, half the cheese, and half the bacon. Repeat layers and sprinkle the last layer of bacon on top.
- Pour: In a bowl combine the evaporated milk, egg, and seasoning salt. Pour over the potato mixture.
- Bake: Bake for 55-60 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving each portion.
Tips for Making These Potatoes
Make Ahead: This recipe comes together so fast, it’s really not necessary to make it ahead of time. However, you can do some of the prep work to make it easy on yourself. Simply make the bacon and crumble it and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble.
Doubling the recipe: And while it all fits in a square baking pan, you can easily double the recipe and use a 9×13 baking dish.
Creamy Cheese: I highly recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it. Pre-shredded cheese you purchase at the grocery store has a coating that keeps it from being as creamy as cheese you shred yourself. It’s just a few extra minutes for this step and so worth it!
Crumbly Bacon: Pre-cook the bacon so that it’s nice and crumbly. I like to overcook it just a bit, to get those nice crumbles. Make it ahead of time and crumble it to store in the freezer. Then, when I’m ready for a great recipe like this one, I have it ready to go!
More Great Potato Side Dishes
Bacon Potato Casserole
- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 1/2 Cup onion finely chopped
- 8 oz bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- Prep: Butter a square baking dish. Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Assemble: Layer half the potatoes, half the onion, half the cheese and half the bacon. Repeat layers.
- Pour: In a bowl, combine the evaporated milk, egg and seasoning salt. Pour over the potato mixture.
- Bake: Bake for 55-60 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.