Nutty baked french toast casserole that can be prepped the night before. The combination of cinnamon and maple syrup makes this a classic family favorite. Great served alongside fresh fruit.
I’m always looking for an easy breakfast idea for our family. This one I found in my grandma’s recipe box was perfect. It combines the delicious flavors of french toast with the nutty maple syrup flavor of cinnamon rolls. Made the night before and then set in the refrigerator, it’s the perfect make-ahead breakfast for the family.
How to Make Baked French Toast Casserole
Step 1 – Generously grease a 13×9 baking pan. Fill the pan with 2 layers of bread slices.
Step 2 – In a bowl combine eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour over the bread slices.
Step 3 – Cover and refrigerate overnight. Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl. Spread the topping over the bread slices.
Step 4 – Bake at 350˚F for 50 minutes until puffed and golden brown. If you find the top is getting brown too quickly, then cover with foil.
Let cool for 10 minutes then slice to enjoy! The sweetness of the brown sugar and nuts really takes this to a new level when it comes to french toast. That being said, if you don’t like nuts you can totally leave them out.
I hope you enjoy this classic breakfast recipe as much as my family has!
Baked French Toast Tips
Can I make this days ahead of time? No. I would not let this refrigerate for more than 12 hours. That being said, you can let it refrigerator for only 4 hours to get similar results if you’re making it for breakfast or dinner.
The top is getting too brown. What do I do? If you notice the top is getting too crunchy, then cover it with a layer of foil.
How do I know when this is done? You’ll find that the entire pan has puffed up and the top is golden brown.
How do I store the leftover? Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, use the oven. Microwaving it makes it mushy.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Egg Casserole Recipe – also make ahead if needed!
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe – for the sweet tooth!
- Sticky Buns
Baked French Toast Casserole
- 12 slices white bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 Cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup butter softened
- 1 1/3 Cups brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/3 Cups nuts coarsely chopped
- Generously grease a 13×9 baking pan. Layer white bread.
- In a bowl combine eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a bowl, combine topping ingredients. Spread over top of bread. Bake at 350˚F for 50 minutes or until middle is puffed and golden. Serve warm.