This classic bean salad made with a homemade vinaigrette dressing is super easy to make. Marinated for hours, the combination of yellow beans, green beans, kidney beans and lima beans bring lots of flavor to this side dish.
Nothing says a potluck lunch than bean salad. Some may call this three bean salad – but it has four beans in it, so I never really understood why people called it that. Needless to say this classic side dish recipe packs some serious flavor and texture, and I thoroughly enjoyed eating it for days.
To further add confusion, my mom called it a five bean salad in her recipe book. Either way, this classic bean salad recipe took me back to childhood and I’m excited to share this super easy and delicious side dish with you! Guys, this is so easy to make you’ll be making it for all the things!
How to Make Bean Salad
Combine the beans, green pepper, celery and onion in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix the vegetable oil, white vinegar and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the homemade dressing over the bean mixture. Mix carefully to avoid breaking up the beans. Let stand overnight in the refrigerator (or at least 3 hours) to fully marinate. Stir it occasionally.
And that’s it! Easy, right? This classic bean salad might be an old fashioned recipe, but it’s flavor is timeless. Make this delicious side dish for your next potluck or picnic and you will not be disappointed! Enjoy!
More Salad RecipesPrint
Classic Bean Salad
An easy side dish combining yellow beans, green beans, kidney beans and baby lima beans in a homemade vinaigrette dressing. Marinate for at least 3 hours to get the full flavors.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- 1 can yellow string beans (also known as wax beans), drained
- 1 can green string beans, drained
- 1 can dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 can baby lima beans, drained
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 Cup celery, diced
- 1 Cup sweet onion, diced
- 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 Cup distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- Combine drained beans, celery, green pepper and onion in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix oil, vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Pour over bean mixture and mix well carefully.
- Let stand covered overnight in refrigerator or for at least 3 hours stirring occasionally.
Keywords: bean salad, classic bean salad, old fashioned bean salad, green bean salad