Soft gingerbread cookies that hold their shape after being baked. Decorate with powdered sugar, icing, or leave plain. These dense cookies are packed with flavor and will soon be your favorite!
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For Decorating (optional)
- powdered sugar
- vanilla icing
- Whisk together the flour, spices, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, mix the oil, molasses and brown sugar together. Then, using the same wet bowl, mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Next, slowly stir in your bowl of the flour mixture into the mixer bowl of wet ingredients. Add one cup at a time to make it easy for you.
- The dough will still be quite sticky. Place the dough onto a heavily floured surface and with floured hands, work in more flour with your hands until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours but it’s best to leave in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick and cut out! Bake for 8 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets until just starting to crack. Let cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
- Optional Decorating: Sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm. Let fully cool before decorating with icing.
Blackstrap Molasses: Using blackstrap gives a more robust flavor to the cookies. Because it is more concentrated we suggest using it for this recipe to bring out the bold flavors.
Keeping cookies from spreading: Make sure to fully chill the dough before rolling out and cutting. If your cookies start to spread too much, it’s because they were not chilled long enough. To help with this, chill the dough overnight. Also, chill the dough in the refrigerator in between batches of rolling out.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 8.6
- Sodium: 114.6
- Fat: 1.1
- Carbohydrates: 22.6
- Protein: 2.3
- Cholesterol: 15.5
Keywords: easy gingerbread cookie recipe, soft gingerbread cookie recipe, best gingerbread cookies