The best spaghetti sauce made with canned tomatoes. Yes, canned tomatoes from the garden!
The Best Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
I could not find a homemade spaghetti sauce that I liked using our canned tomatoes. So, I made up my own. And I may be biased but this is the BEST spaghetti sauce recipe. Seriously, I can’t wait to make it again. It’s just too bad I made such a big batch that I won’t have to for awhile.
While this recipe uses canned tomatoes from our garden, you could substitute the quarts of canned tomatoes with stewed tomatoes from the store. Tomatoes from the garden tend to have a sweeter taste in my opinion, so you may need a bit more sugar in the recipe if using store bought.
This recipe became a bit of a trial and error until I got it just right. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!Print
Do you can your tomatoes from your garden? This is the best spaghetti sauce using those tomatoes and other fresh ingredients like basil.
- 3 quarts canned tomatoes
- 2 12 oz cans tomato paste
- 2 TB dried basil
- 2 TB dried oregano
- 2 TB sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 TB garlic, minced
- 2 TB olive oil
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in your sauce pan. Add the diced onion and peppers and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and then all remaining ingredients.
- Let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles. This makes a big batch that will feed a crowd. You can easily freeze the leftovers in a ziploc bag in the freezer to save for later.