The best blueberry pie made from scratch using fresh blueberries and simple ingredients. This blueberry pie filling is thick and holds together with each slice. It’s perfect served with vanilla ice cream or topped with whipped cream.
If you’re looking to use frozen berries, try this mixed berry pie!
You know I love a good slice of pie, and blueberry was one type of pie that I’d never had. However, after my mom decided to test and create this recipe – and I had a delicious slice – I knew I had to share it with you.
Homemade Blueberry Pie Ingredients
One of the best things about this recipe is that it uses simple ingredients to make the pie filling.
- fresh blueberries
- lemon juice
- brown sugar
- minute tapioca
- ground cinnamon
- pastry for a double-crust pie
Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling
Making the blueberry pie filling could not be simpler! There’s no heating of the ingredients. You just simply mix!
- Rinse the fresh blueberries.
- Combine blueberries and lemon juice. In another bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch, and cinnamon.
- Add the blueberries to the dry ingredients and toss until fully coated.
After creating the filling, add flour to the bottom of the unbaked pie crust and then add the blueberry pie filling. Dot with butter and then add the topper.
Bake in a 350˚F preheated oven for 40 minutes. Turn the oven up to 375˚ F for 10-20 minutes or until the blueberry filling is bubbling and the ingredients have been fully incorporated.
Let the pie cool and then slice to enjoy! This blueberry pie is packed with flavor because of the fresh blueberries. I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe as much as our family has!
Blueberry Pie Tips and Techniques
- Let the pie fully cool. It takes about four hours for a pie to fully cool enough to be sliced. If you slice the pie too soon, your pie filling may be too runny.
- Fresh blueberries are preferred. I would only use fresh blueberries with this recipe. Frozen berries will contain more juice and may alter the results of this recipe.
- Do not prebake the pie crust. This recipe is made with an unbaked pie crust. Because of the baking time, you do not need to pre-bake the pie crust.
- You do not need to refrigerate the baked pie until you slice into the pie. The pie does not need to be refrigerated until you take out a slice. Once you do, store in the refrigerator covered. The pie will last up to 2 days at room temperature un-sliced or up to 3 days sliced in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container.
- Avoid a gritty pie. This pie needs to really bubble to fully incorporate the ingredients. It may boil over just a bit. If you find that you still see the tapioca ingredients, then let it boil a bit longer.
- Avoid a burnt crust. About 30 minutes after baking, add a pie crust shield to avoid the pie crust edges from getting too dark.
More Blueberry Recipes
- Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Bread With Lemon Glaze
- Simple Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Simple Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 4 cups fresh blueberries 2 pints
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 Cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pie crust 9 inches
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine blueberries and lemon juice. In another bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add to berries; toss gently to coat.
- To a 9 inch pie crust , add 1 tablespoon flour to the bottom of crust. Add blueberry pie filling. Dot with butter. Add top crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cover edge with crust protector. Bake for 20 minutes more. Turn oven up to 375˚ F. and bake up to additional 20 minutes more until crust is golden brown and berries have burst and are bubbling. (A total of 60-70 of bake time.)
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
Comments & Reviews
This is my kind of pie! (To be honest, I have no self-control when it comes to blueberries.) Tastes like heaven. I urge everyone to give this a try. Believe me, the pie is perfect for breakfast or as dessert for afternoon tea.
Thank u so much for sharing! I hope the recipe will inspire many of your readers. Your directions and pictures make it look so easy. Keep up the good work!
Yay! So glad you enjoyed it!