Make the popular bang bang shrimp with this copycat recipe using frozen shrimp!
- 1 lb. Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ Cup Miracle Whip or similar
- 1/3 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- ½ to 1½ tsp Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Cornstarch, maybe more
- ½ Cup Butter Milk
- 4 Green Onions, both white and green parts sliced on a bias
- Canola oil for frying
- Start heating 2-3 inches of oil in a large heavy pot to 375˚.
- In a large bowl combine the Miracle Whip, Sweet Chili Sauce, ½ tsp Chili Garlic Sauce and Salt. Taste and adjust the Chili Garlic Sauce to taste, it is spicy, I usually use about a teaspoon. Set aside.
- In two small bowls put ½ the Corn Starch in one and the buttermilk in the other.
- Drain and pat the shrimp dry.
- Working in small batches, let the shrimp moisten in the buttermilk. Dredge in the corn starch. Add cornstarch to bowl as needed.
- Place in hot oil and cook until deep golden brown.
- Place on paper towel lined plate or paper bag to drain excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining Shrimp.
- Toss Shrimp in bowl with sauce to coat and serve immediately with green onions sprinkled on top.