Hearty calico beans recipe made from scratch with bacon, ground beef, kidney beans, butter beans and pork and beans. An easy side dish recipe that is packed with flavor!
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 (15 oz) can of butter beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 oz) can of pork and beans
- Preheat oven to 300˚ F.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Let cool and chop into bite size pieces.
- Fry ground beef and onion until hamburger is fully cooked and onions are translucent. Drain the fat.
- Combine bacon, ground beef, onion and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake at 300˚ F for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the beans are your desired thickness, making sure to stir the beans every 30 minutes.
If you want to make this in the slow cooker, heat on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Take note that the beans will not thicken as much as they would in the oven. However, the flavors will still be amazing.
If doubling the recipe, make sure to increase the cook time. Also, I might still keep it at one pound of ground beef and double the rest of the ingredients.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: calico beans recipe, calico beans, calico baked beans