Make candied almonds from home to top your favorite desserts or for a snack in themselves.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped all natural almonds (or walnuts; pecans)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325˚ F.
- Coarsely chop 1 ½ cups of nuts.
- Spread the chopped nuts on a baking sheet and put into the preheated oven. Set the timer for 9 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a separate baking sheet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom saucepan, pour ¼ cup granulated sugar and place on medium high heat.
- Give the pan a little shake to even out the sugar. Do not stir, just shake the pan here and there. The sugar will begin to melt.
- When there is just a small amount of granulated sugar remaining and the liquid form begins to turn light brown, stir the remaining granulated portion into the liquid until all is melted.
- Working quickly, stir in 1 T. butter and then ¼ t. vanilla extract.
- Keeping the same heat level, quickly pour in your hot nuts straight from the baking sheet.
- Stir until all the nuts are coated with the hot, caramel sauce.
- Turn off the heat and spread the coated nuts onto your prepared lining.
- After they are cool to touch, break them apart and store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 7.4
- Sodium: .5
- Fat: 14.8
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Protein: 5.7
- Cholesterol: 3.8
Keywords: candied almonds