Cherry bars are a delicious easy-to-make dessert that requires few ingredients. The process of baking these bars with their layers of shortbread is simple but the end result is something with a similar flavor to cherry pie!
Cherry bars are one of those desserts that combine the delicious flavors of other favorite recipes like cherry pie or shortbread cookies – but are much easier to make. I love this recipe since it’s so versatile and you can try other fruit fillings. However, today we’re sticking with the classic cherry!
The combination of pantry ingredients makes this a super simple recipe to pull together any day, at any time! And while I love my own homemade cherry pie filling, it’s just as easy to use a can in this case. (Ignore the brown sugar in the picture above, my mistake!)
- almond extract
- baking powder
- cherry pie filling
- powdered sugar
How do you make Cherry Pie Bars?
The recipe is really quite simple. I found it in my treasured local Amish cookbook that I’ve enjoyed using to discover new dessert recipes!
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 350˚ F and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Cream: In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the almond extract and egg until well combined.
- Add: Mix in the flour and baking powder.
- Assemble: Pour 2/3 of the batter into the baking dish. Top with the cherry pie filling. Spread the remaining batter on top.
- Bake: Bake at 350˚ F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, and the top layer is golden brown. Let cool and frost with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Can I use any pie filling?
Yes! This recipe is equally delicious using blueberry pie filling or apple pie filling. I would leave out the almond extract if not going with cherry.
Storing Cherry Bars
Once cool, slice into bars. To store, place cherry bars in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These also freeze really well for afternoon snacks! Just let thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
More Bar Recipes to Try
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Butter Pecan Turtle Cookie Bars
- Chewy Toffee Cookie Bars
- Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup butter softened
- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 21 oz can cherry pie filling
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cream: Cream together the sugar, butter, and shortening until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and extracts.
- Add: Add in the flour and baking powder and mix until well incorporated.
- Assemble: Pour 2/3 of the batter into the baking dish. Top with cherry pie filling. Spoon the rest of the batter on top and gently spread.
- Bake: Bake in a 350˚ F oven for 30-35 minutes. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into bars and serve.