You have got to try these chewy toffee cookie bars! They’re super easy to make with a base layer of graham crackers and then topped with layers of coconut, toffee bits, and pecans. Carmelized with sweetened condensed milk – this desert is rich, delicious, and fun to make!
Talking with my mom on the phone, she mentioned this chewy delicious rich dessert she remembered as a child that was made with sweetened and condensed milk. Lucky for her, I had just made the toffee cookie bars (that remind me of the chewy chocolate peanut butter bars) on my marathon day of baking.
The Layers of Toffee Cookie Bars
To make these cookie bars you will layer the ingredients in order -and then BAM you have dessert. Could. Not. Be Easier.
- Graham Crackers – Right out of the box and the perfect base for this rich dessert.
- Coconut – Coconut adds some serious texture.
- Brickle (Toffee bits) – When looking for this one at the store, look for Heath bits in the baking aisle.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Sounds interesting, but it’s OH SO GOOD. It creates this caramelization in the oven that brings all the flavors together. Just pour it on evenly!
- Chopped nuts – Use your favorites, I prefer pecans. They add a bit of crunch to this delectable dessert.
- Spray the pan: Even though this recipe will start with melted butter in the 9×13 pan, I highly recommend spraying the pan as well or brushing the melted butter up the sides. It will make it much easier to cut and serve the toffee cookie bars.
- Let Cool: Before you slice into these to serve, makes sure they are fully cool. This recipe produces a super chewy dessert and it needs to cool to make it easier to serve.
- Make Ahead: This recipe freezes super well! Once fully cool, cut into squares and then freeze. Let thaw before enjoying.
You know I love a good vintage recipe, and this super simple and delicious dessert is the perfect addition to any dessert table. Enjoy!
More Dessert Bar Recipes
- M&M Cookie Bars Recipe
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cake Bars – like cake, but better.
- Cranberry Bars – a unique twist on a classic favorite.
Chewy Toffee Cookie Bars
- 1/4 Cup salted butter
- 8 graham crackers large
- 1 Cup unsweetened coconut
- 8 oz toffee bits Heath bits o' brickle
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Cup nuts nuts
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- In the oven, melt the butter in a 9×13 pan. Remove from oven. Brush melted butter onto the inner sides.
Layer the rest of the ingredients in order:
- graham crackers (one layer)
- toffee bits
- sweetened condensed milk
- chopped nuts
- Bake at 325˚ F for 30 minutes or until bubbling around the edges. Let cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.