This oven-baked chicken and rice casserole is a family favorite! Using fully cooked or leftover chicken, create a creamy and delicious 9×13 pan dinner using simple ingredients like cream of mushroom soup.
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Cups rice, uncooked
- 2 Cups celery, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons onion, diced
- 2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 1/2 Cups mayonnaise
- 1 Cup corn flakes, crushed
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Bring to boil the chicken broth. Add the rice and cover. Simmer on low for 20 minutes or until the chicken broth is fully absorbed into the rice.
- Over medium heat, sauté in 1 Tablespoon butter the onion and celery until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion and celery, cooked rice, cooked chicken, mayonnaise, and cream of mushroom soup. Pour into a 9×13 greased baking dish.
- Top with crushed cornflakes and pour 3 Tablespoons of melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350˚ F. Serve warm.
Cooked chicken. If you don’t have leftover chicken to use for this recipe, I prefer to boil 3 chicken breasts for 10 -15 minutes or until the chicken’s internal temperature is 160˚ F. Shred or dice and add to the recipe.
Make ahead. Prepare as directed except for the cornflakes topping. Store covered in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, add the corn flakes and butter and bake as directed.
Freezing. Make as directed except for the cornflakes topping. (You can freeze the corn flakes in a small bag separate from the casserole, so you have them ready to go.) Cover the casserole in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before baking. When ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap, top with corn flakes and butter, and bake as directed.
Reheating Leftovers. Place a single serving in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 – 2 minutes or until heated through. While the topping will not be as crunchy the second day, it’s equally as good.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 1.8
- Sodium: 894.2
- Fat: 34.3
- Carbohydrates: 22.7
- Protein: 10.1
- Cholesterol: 48.3
Keywords: chicken and rice casserole, leftover chicken and rice casserole