This is the BEST chicken enchiladas with white sauce recipe! It’s made with tortillas wrapped around a hefty portion of tender chicken, black beans, and corn filling and then smothered in an amazing homemade lime cream sauce.
- 6 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 –15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 –4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 T. fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups Monterrey jack cheese, divided
- 8 – 12 inch whole wheat tortillas
- In a saucepan, saute the onion, peppers, and garlic in 3 T. butter on medium heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse and drain 1 – 15 oz. can of black beans.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, 1- 4oz. can of chopped green chilies, 4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken, and 1/2 cup frozen corn.
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 T. fresh lime juice.
- In the same saucepan as you saute your vegetables, melt 3 T. butter. Whisk in 1/4 cup white flour, 1 tsp. ground coriander and 1 tsp salt. Cook this flour mixture for two minutes on low to medium heat or until thick.
- Whisk in 2 1/2 cups chicken broth until smooth and bubbling. Then turn off the heat and whisk in 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese, and another T. of fresh lime juice.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the cream sauce into your bowl of filling.
- Grease a 13×9 casserole pan with either butter or a bit of the sauce. Fill 1 – 10 inch tortilla with a heaping 3/4 cup of filling. Roll the tortilla into the pan and tuck in the sides. Repeat this 7 more times until you have 8 filled tortillas.
- Pour the remaining cream sauce on top of the filled tortillas and top with 1 cup of shredded cheese and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
- Bake in a 350˚ F oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 393
- Sugar: 2.5
- Sodium: 950.6
- Fat: 18.2
- Carbohydrates: 25.8
- Protein: 31.2
- Cholesterol: 101.8
Keywords: white sauce chicken enchiladas, chicken enchilada casserole