Chicken rotini casserole made with pasta, a homemade creamy sauce and peppers. Make your own roux to create this thick creamy dinner casserole.
- 16 oz. rotini pasta
- 3 Cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Cup half and half
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 + 1/3 Cups parmesan
- Cook and dice chicken. Boil water and cook the Rotini pasta. Drain.
- Saute diced peppers in butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir. Then add half and half and water and bouillon. Add salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer until thick and creamy.
- Combine chichen, homemade sauce, rotini noodles and parmesan cheese. Mix and then add to 13×9 baking dish. Bake at 350˚ F for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Top with parmesan cheese and serve.
Freezer Cooking: If making this for the freezer. Complete all directions except for baking and freeze in well covered baking dish. When ready to enjoy, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as directed.
Thick Sauce Tips: It’s really important to let the flour really soak into the peppers before you add the half and half and chicken broth. You are creating a roux that will bring a flavorful sauce. Let thicken before adding to other ingredients. It will take about 10 minutes of simmering over medium heat. Stir constantly as you don’t want the milk to overboil and spill over your pan.
Chicken Broth: I highly recommend purchase Better than Bouillon to make your chicken broth. I keep mine in the refrigerator ready to use whenever I need it! If you don’t have it, you can just use 2 cups of chicken broth. Just keep in mind, the type of chicken broth will affect the flavor so taste test the sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 2.9
- Sodium: 366.8
- Fat: 6.4
- Carbohydrates: 32.7
- Protein: 23.7
- Cholesterol: 60.5
Keywords: chicken rotini, chicken rotini casserole