Homemade cinnamon rolls made from scratch that are soft, fluffy, and absolutely delicious! This recipe is easy to make using your stand mixer. Once you make these you’ll never make any other recipe!
- 3 1/2 – 4 Cups bread flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast (or 2 packages)
- 1 Cup warm milk (120˚ F)
- 1/4 Cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon water
- In your mixer bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix and then add the milk, butter, and egg. Beat with your flat beater on low speed for 1 minute and then medium speed for 1 minute. Scrap the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Remove your flat beater and attach the dough hook. Add the remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time and knead for 3-5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and springy.
- Grease a large bowl with cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it to grease all sides. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the risen dough from the bowl and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough to a 15×10 inch rectangle. Spread the melted butter over the flattened dough and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar filling.
- Roll the rectangle up tightly starting with the longer side. Pinch the end of the roll to seal. Slice the cinnamon roll dough into 15 rolls using a serrated knife or dental floss. Each slice should be approximately 1 inch in width.
- Place each slice into a greased 13×9 baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F while the rolls are rising. Uncover the rolls that have doubled in size and bake for 25-30 minutes. Immediately spread with frosting.
- In a small pan on the stovetop, melt the butter over low heat. Once melted remove from heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of water and whisk until smooth.
- Add to the top of your cinnamon rolls immediately after removing from the oven.
Make Ahead: You can make these cinnamon rolls the night before. After making cinnamon roll slices place in a 13×9 baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Two hours before baking, remove from the refrigerator, and replace the plastic wrap with a kitchen towel. Let rise for up to 2 hours or until they have doubled in size. Bake as directed.
Milk: Measure out the 1 cup of milk in a measuring glass. Microwave for 45 seconds or until the temperature reaches 120˚ F.
Rising: Your oven may have a dough rising function. I set mine to 100˚F which is the perfect temperature to rise the dough in my cold kitchen. You’ll know your dough is ready when you press your finger into it and the indentation remains when touched.
Rolls: When you cut them use a ruler to measure out 1 inch. If you end up with 14 rolls or 16 rolls, that is okay. Just press them into the pan. It happens.
Baking: Your rolls will reach an internal temperature of 190˚F when they are done baking. If you find that your rolls are getting too brown on top before you reach this temperature, cover with foil.
Freezing: Freeze the baked cinnamon rolls individually in a well-sealed plastic bag or container. Leave on the counter at room temperature overnight to thaw before warming in the microwave to enjoy for breakfast!
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 24.4
- Sodium: 170
- Fat: 11.8
- Carbohydrates: 51.8
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 41.2
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, cinnamon rolls from scratch