This coffee cake with a cream cheese filling is one of the easiest coffee cake recipes you will ever make. The cake is moist and buttery with its layers of crescent rolls with a fluffy cream cheese middle that takes it to the next level.
Who doesn’t like a rich and sweet breakfast treat with a hot cup of coffee on these chilly winter mornings? And what makes this recipe so unique is that it’s quick and easy to make using crescent rolls with a homemade filling. It’s semi-homemade.
Yes, again this is a precious recipe discovered in my grandma’s recipe box. She called it crescent roll coffee cake. I remember this recipe and enjoyed it as a child. I also knew it was a keeper because my grandma had her handwritten notes on it so I knew she made it often.
Table of Contents
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients for this recipe. The crescent rolls take on a butter flavor of their own despite the fact they are store bought. Combine that with the homemade filling and cinnamon sugar topping and you have a real winner!
For the Cake:
Crescent rolls are the star of this show and are so easy to use! I do recommend using the name-brand crescent rolls as the off-brands can have a different flavor. That’s my personal experience but sharing it with you to make this the best recipe yet.
- Crescent Rolls
For the Filling:
The filling is super creamy and fluffy thanks to the addition of egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla added to the softened cream cheese.
- Cream Cheese
- Egg Yolk
For the Topping:
To top it all, a crunchy sweet topping mixture is made with a combination of chopped pecans, sugar, and cinnamon mixed in a small bowl. Pecans are optional, but I highly recommend them.
- Chopped Pecans
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Prep: Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish and preheat your oven to 350˚F.
First Layer: Press to the bottom of the baking dish one (8 count) crescent roll dough from the tube. Pinch the edges so it forms an even layer. Brush with egg white.
Second Layer: In a large bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, vanilla and egg yolk until light and fluffy. Spread over the first layer of crescent rolls.
Third Layer: Roll out another (8 count) crescent roll tube and pinch all the edges. Add to the top of the cream cheese layer and brush with the remaining egg white.
Top Layer: Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and pecans in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the entire coffee cake.
Bake: Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Coffee Cake Notes:
Soften the cream cheese: To really get that fluffy texture, make sure to set the cream cheese out for 20 minutes at room temperature to get it really soft so that it incorporates best with the other filling ingredients. Keep whipping it until it is very fluffy!
Crescent roll dough: When rolling out the third layer, it’s easiest to roll the crescent roll out on the countertop and pinch all the edges together before adding it as the layer above the cream cheese.
Chill once served. Because this recipe contains cream cheese, you’ll want to chill the recipe after serving it. It will store well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Looking for More Coffee Cake Recipes?
Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 8 count crescent roll tubes
- 1 egg separated
- 16 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup pecans chopped
- Prep: Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- First Layer: Roll out one tube of crescent rolls and press into the bottom of the baking dish. Pinch all the edges to remove the perforations. Separate the egg white from the yolk and set the yolk aside. Brush the crescent dough with 1/2 of the egg white.
- Second Layer: In a mixing bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar, vanilla, and the egg yolk until light and fluffy. Spread over the prepared crescent roll layer.
- Third Layer: Roll out the remaining tube of crescent rolls and pinch together all the perforations. Place on top of the cream cheese layer. Brush with the remaining egg white.
- Top Layer: Stir together 1/2 Cup of sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Sprinkle over the third layer.
- Bake: Bake in a preheated 350˚ F oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.