Cranberry bars made with fresh cranberries, oatmeal and a hint of coconut. This rich cranberry dessert is the perfect fall recipe to feed a crowd!
- 6 Cups regular rolled oats
- 2 1/4 Cups dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup shredded unsweet coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups salted butter, melted
- 3/4 Cup coconut oil, melted
- 24 oz. fresh cranberries
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat your oven to 350˚ F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, dark brown sugar, flour, shredded coconut, soda and salt. Pour the butter and coconut oil into the bowl and mix well. The texture will resemble a wet cookie dough.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over an 12×17 inch jelly roll pan. Press 6 ½ cups of the oat mixture into the pan and use a spatula to help you press it all down. Bake the crust 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let completely cool.
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, granulated sugar, juice and zest. Simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries are soft. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the cranberry mixture until it looks resembles a smooth jam. Remember, allow the crust to cool completely before spreading the cranberry on top.
- After adding the cranberry layer, crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture on top and lightly pat it down with your hand.
- Bake the cranberry bars for 25-30 additional minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. When completely cool, remove the rectangle from the parchment paper and cut into bars.
Gluten-Free: To make these gluten free, substitute your favorite gluten free all purpose flour 1:1
Oats Replacement: Quick oats or a combination of regular and quick oats can be used
Different Fruits for Middle Layer: You can substitute any fresh fruit in these bars, but you will need to add cornstarch or tapioca starch as a thickener. Cranberries naturally thicken unlike other fruits.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cranberry bars, cranberry dessert, cranberry oatmeal bars