Try this cranberry nut bread recipe which produces a rich, dense bread with tart bites of cranberries. Perfect served with tea or coffee and lovely wrapped as a gift!
If you love this nut bread recipe, you’ll also love my grandma’s delicious nut bread recipe.
Every once in awhile my mom mentions a recipe that I don’t remember. But I decide to try it anyways. This one comes from a Betty Crocker cookbook from decades ago. The moment the nut bread was baking in the oven I recognized the amazing aroma of the bread and it brought me back to childhood. Give this unique bread a try.
Cranberry Nut Bread Ingredients
There are just a few essential ingredients to make this tart but sweet recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour – For this recipe, you will need good ‘ol all-purpose flour. Make sure to spoon into your measuring cup and level to get an accurate amount.
- Sugar – Nothing says sweet than sugar! White granulated is our chosen sweetener to balance the tartness of the cranberries.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – This recipe calls for both to make sure to add the right amount of each!
- Butter – You will use softened butter to create a crumble before adding your wet ingredients.
- Orange Zest and Orange Juice – Both give a citrus flavor, which adds to the tartness of the cranberries.
- Nuts – I prefer walnuts in this recipe, but you can use any nut.
- Cranberries – The star of the show! Make sure to cut them into small pieces to get cranberry taste in every bite.
How to Make Cranberry Nut Bread
This recipe does come together very easily. Its steps are a bit different than when you make cookies or other bread, but the results speak for themselves so follow closely!
Prep: Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Line only the bottom of a 9x5x3 bread pan.
- Mix: In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the softened butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir: Stir in the orange zest, orange juice, and egg into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the cranberries and nuts and mix until combined.
- Bake: Spread the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean. During the baking process, if the top looks to be browning, cover with aluminum foil.
- Cool Cool for five minutes and then remove from the pan to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Nut Bread FAQ
Once cooled, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
My favorite way to freeze it is to cut the nut bread into slices. Freeze individually in little plastic bags. Place in the toaster for 4-5 minutes to reheat, and enjoy.
Use small mini loaves or a large loaf. Adjust baking time based on pan size. Once cool, wrap in plastic wrap and place a ribbon on top. It can be frozen and made ahead.
Cranberry Nut Bread
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 Cup orange juice
- 1 Cup cranberries chopped
- 1/2 Cup nuts chopped
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Line only the bottom of a 9x5x3 bread pan.
- Mix: In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the softened butter until the mixture is crumbly
- Stir: Stir in the orange peel, orange juice, and egg just until moistened. Add the cranberries and nuts and mix until combined.
- Bake: Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean. Cool for five minutes and then remove from the pan to cool completely on a cooling rack.