This creamy hamburger soup comes together quickly! However, the short preparation time doesn’t mean you skip out on taste. Make this delicious soup to warm up this winter.
This recipe had me at the word – hamburger. We stocked up on it when we purchased a 1/2 a cow this year, but mainly we use it for spaghetti or tacos. This time I wanted to mix it up with my family and make a creamy and delicious soup!
Enter this Amish recipe for hamburger soup. It was so super simple to make and it was a big hit with the amount of flavor in each individual bite!
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this soup, most of which you probably already have on hand!
- ground beef
- tomato juice
- green peppers
- diced potatoes
How to Make The Best Cheeseburger Soup
Besides browning the ground beef and sauteing the onions and peppers, this is a – dump it all into one pot and simmer kind of soup!
- Prep: Brown the ground beef until fully cooked. Saute the onions and peppers until the onions are translucent.
- Combine: In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients, except for the flour and the milk. Bring to a simmer over low heat until all vegetables are tender. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Thicken: Combine the flour and 1 cup of milk in a small bowl. Stir it into the soup mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer until heated through.
*Do not bring to a boil after adding all the milk as it can cause the soup to overflow your stockpot!
Cooking in the Slow Cooker?
Brown the ground beef and saute the vegetables. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4 hours.
I like to serve this with some shredded cheese on top. Equally delicious would be green onions and sour cream! You can customize how you prefer!
Storing cheeseburger soup
Store all leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze leftovers for up to 6 months! Let thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat on the stove, making sure to not bring it to a boil so as not to boil over.
More Soup Recipes
Creamy Hamburger Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Cup onions chopped
- 1/2 Cup green peppers chopped
- 1 Cup carrots sliced
- 2 Cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup diced potatoes
- 4 Cups milk divided
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- Prep: Brown and cook the ground beef. Saute the onions and peppers until the onion is translucent.
- Combine: Combine all ingredients except for the milk and flour in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, approximately 20 - 25 minutes.
- Thicken: In a small bowl, add 1 cup milk to the flour and whisk until combined. Add to soup and bring to a boil. Add remaining milk and reduce the heat so as not to boil over. Let heat through then serve.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
Leave A Reply!