Okay, what do you think of when you think of crockpot beans and rice? Cheap? Easy? No flavor? Well, the first two are right and the last one I aim to show you is completely wrong with this recipe! And while some may say that beans and rice is not their favorite, this recipe packs tons of flavor and is so delicious! Seriously, I can’t wait to make it again.
I think beans and rice has a stigma that you have to go to it only when you’re on a bare bones budget. And while that’s a great way to pair down your grocery budget (we’ve done it!) it’s also a great way to cut the cost of dinner just to make sure you’re staying within your budget. I love all the protein the beans provide while also giving some great flavor to the dish.
Are you ready to try this super easy crockpot beans and rice recipe?
Here’s what you’ll need to make this inexpensive meal:
1 celery stick, diced
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 TB olive oil
3 garlic gloves, minced
1 can (15 oz) of diced tomatoes
2 cans (15 oz each) of great northern beans
1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
6 Cups of chicken broth
1 Cup rice, uncooked
parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat the olive oil on the stove and add the celery and onions. Saute for about 6 minutes are until translucent and soft. Add the garlic and saute for only 1 minute longer.
Add the onions mixture to the crockpot along with all the rest of the ingredients. So easy, right!
Now you may be wondering about the rice. A lot of research into a dish like this, led me to believe that I should cook the rice first. However, I’m a rebel and I wanted to make this recipe as easy as possible. Plus, I figured if the rice would soak up all those delicious flavors, it would really make the dish better. I was right! There is absolutely no need to pre-cook the rice.
Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or until the rice is fully cooked.
That is it my friends. A super easy, flavorful and cheap dinner!
Need another simple dinner? You will love this easy Chicken and Rice recipe.Print
The frugal dinner idea – that tastes great! Beans and rice in the crockpot.
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 TB olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of great northern beans
- 1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 6 Cups of chicken broth
- 1 Cup rice, uncooked
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in skillet on stove set to medium-high.
- When the oil is hot, saute the onions and celery for about 6 minutes or until the onions are just beginning to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the onion mixture to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook on high in the crockpot for 3 – 4 hours or until the rice is fully cooked.