Slow cooker beans and rice made with great northern beans are not only an easy recipe but budget-friendly! Packed with flavor, this thick soup-like dinner will please your crowd.
Easy Slow Cooker Beans and Rice
Okay, what do you think of when you think of crockpot beans and rice? Cheap? Easy? No flavor? Well, the first two are right and the last one I aim to show you is completely wrong with this recipe! And while some may say that beans and rice is not their favorite, this recipe packs tons of flavor and is so delicious! Seriously, I can’t wait to make it again.
I think beans and rice has a stigma that you have to go to it only when you’re on a bare-bones budget. And while that’s a great way to pair down your grocery budget (we’ve done it!) it’s also a great way to cut the cost of dinner just to make sure you’re staying within your budget. I love all the protein the beans provide while also giving some great flavor to the dish.
Beans and Rice Ingredients:
- celery stick
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- diced tomatoes
- great northern beans
- Italian seasoning
- chicken broth
How to Make Beans and Rice
- Heat the olive oil on the stove and add the celery and onions. Saute for about 6 minutes are until translucent and soft. Add the garlic and saute for only 1 minute longer.
- Add the onions mixture to the crockpot along with all the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or until the rice is fully cooked.
Beans and Rice Tips and Techniques
- You do not need to precook the rice. The rice will soak up all those delicious flavors.
- I used great northern beans in this recipe, but you could use pinto beans as well.
- I used white long grain rice in this recipe, but you could use whatever rice you would prefer. Just keep in mind the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- This recipe freezes well. I took the leftovers and put them into individual containers and froze them to enjoy for lunch in the future.
That is it my friends. A super easy, flavorful and cheap dinner! Enjoy!
More Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes
- Slow Cooker Venison Stew
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – one of our favs!
- Slow Cooker Eggplant Pasta with Sausage – a good twist on pasta!
Crockpot Beans and Rice
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves minced
- 15 oz diced tomatoes undrained
- 30 oz great northern beans drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- 1 Cup rice uncooked
- parmesan cheese and tortilla strips for topping optional
- Heat olive oil in skillet on stove set to medium-high. When the oil is hot, saute the onions and celery for about 6 minutes or until the onions are just beginning to turn translucent. Add the garlic to the skillet and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the onion mixture to the crockpot with the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook on high in the crockpot for 3 - 4 hours or until the rice is fully cooked.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
This recipe was originally published in March, 2015. It has been updated with new information and pictures. The recipe remains the same.
Comments & Reviews
If I doubled the ingredients, would I also need to double cooking time?
Hi! I don’t think you will need to double the cooking time but you may need to adjust it. In just thinking about when you cook rice on the stove, the directions are the same no matter what, even though you may use different amounts of rice and water. I would try for four hours but have enough wiggle room if you need to go longer. The key is the rice cooking. Let me know how it goes.
Looks simple and delicious. Making tomorrow.
I hope you like it, Rhonda!