Easy beans and rice made in the slow cooker using simple ingredients! This budget friendly dinner is packed with flavor!
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of great northern beans, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 Cups of chicken broth
- 1 Cup rice, uncooked
- parmesan cheese and tortilla strips for topping (optional)
- Heat olive oil in skillet on stove set to medium-high. When the oil is hot, saute the onions and celery for about 6 minutes or until the onions are just beginning to turn translucent. Add the garlic to the skillet and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the onion mixture to the crockpot with the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook on high in the crockpot for 3 – 4 hours or until the rice is fully cooked.
You do not need to precook the rice. The rice will soak up all those delicious flavors.
I used great northern beans in this recipe, but you could use pinto beans as well.
I used white long grain rice in this recipe, but you could use whatever rice you prefer. Just keep in mind the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
This recipe freezes well. I took the leftovers and put them into individual containers and froze them to enjoy for lunch in the future.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 Cups
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 4.5
- Sodium: 101.4
- Fat: 6.2
- Carbohydrates: 69.7
- Protein: 17.7
Keywords: slow cooker beans and rice