A shredded chicken sandwiches recipe that is made in the crockpot with stovetop stuffing and Ritz crackers. This classic Ohio shredded chicken sandwich recipe feeds a crowd!
Are crockpot hot shredded chicken sandwiches a Northern thing? I’m not really sure about that. What I do know is that I grew up loving them. They are served at most pot luck functions. You’ll find them at most concession stands or ice cream stands in the summer. They’re super easy to make and delicious.
Have you ever tried them?
While shredded chicken sandwiches are a “go-to” type of big family function dinner idea around here, they can lack flavor if you’re not careful with which recipe you dive into. That’s why I wanted to share with you the recipe my mom uses. You can have it in the crockpot in about six minutes. And in four hours dinner is ready for a crowd! Serve it over your favorite sandwich buns and add pickle if you like.
Shredded Chicken Sandwiches Ingredients
- 50 oz can of boneless chicken, drained
- (2) 12 oz can of white chicken breast, drained
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 heaping tsp of chicken bouillon dissolved in 1/4 cup of water (This Bouillon is the BEST!)
- 1/4 cup of Stovetop stuffing, dry mix (You do not need to max the stuffing.)
When it comes to the large can of boneless chicken, I buy the “boned chicken”. It’s cheaper than the all white meat. It looks like a bit of a mess in the can, but since these are shredded, it doesn’t really matter. If you prefer all white meat, go for it. It will just be a bit pricier.
Line a crockpot with a slow cooker liner for easy clean up. Add all the ingredients. (Make sure you’ve really drained the cans of chicken well!)
Give it a good stir. It’s okay if you have some chunks of Ritz crackers in there. They will dissolve as it cooks down. Put on high for one hour, and then low for three more hours. (You can also let it go all day on low.)
Once done, it’s ready to serve on buns. This crockpot full will make about 15 to 25 sandwiches depending on how full you make them. If you like your shredded chicken a bit runny like I do it’s perfect. If you like it more dry you can add more Ritz crackers and Stove Top to your liking.
This recipe is perfect for a potluck. This is the crockpot I use to avoid spills.
The next day you’ll have delicious shredded chicken sandwich leftovers! That is, if you have any left over. Enjoy!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
- 50 oz can of boneless chicken drained
- 24 oz canned white chicken breast, drained
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers crushed
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup Stove Top stuffing dry mix
- Line your crock pot with a slow cooker liner.
- Add all ingredients and stir until well incorporated.
- Cook on high for one hour. Continue cooking on low for at least 3 more hours.
- Serve hot on buns.