A crispy crumble topping on a homemade apple pie filling make this dutch apple pie a family favorite!
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup white sugar plus 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
Homemade Dutch Apple Crumble Topping
- ¾ cup of flour
- ¼ cup of white sugar
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Peel and slice 6 cups of apples into a large bowl. Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix well and place in prepared pie crust. (See note below.)
- Blend the crumble topping ingredients with a pastry blender is a separate bowl. Spread on top of apples, slightly pat to hold in place.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Add pie crust shield and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Before adding my homemade apple pie filling to the pie crust, I add about 2-3 teaspoons of flour to the bottom. My great-grandma always did and so do I. I believe it helps to take some of the extra juices from the apples and thickens them to allow the bottom crust to cook completely. I do this trick for every single pie I make!
If crust is browning too much, cover with foil during the baking process.
How do you know when your pie is done? Every oven can be a little different. I bake mine for about 5 minutes less than what the directions say. I then check the pie two ways. One, I look for just the slightest little bubble coming from the pie filling. Two, I take my pie and very carefully, lift it up to see the bottom crust. (I use these pot holders for maximum grip.) The bottom crust should be a nice golden brown. If the pie is not met these two goals, then I put it back into the oven for five more minutes and check again. I check every five minutes until the pie is done!
Make sure to let your dutch apple pie cool on a wire rack. It will need to cool about one hour before serving.
Make sure to pick a tart apple for your pie. I prefer Jonagold apples but Granny Smith apples also work well with this recipe.
Keywords: dutch apple pie, best dutch apple pie, dutch apple pie topping