Cheesy hashbrown casserole is the perfect casserole to accompany any main dish! It’s cheesy, easy to make and is absolutely delicious!
Why Hashbrown Casserole is My Favorite
- You can make it the night before. Make as directed just cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- It goes alongside pretty much every single main dish idea like meatloaf. Mmmmm, meatloaf.
- It’s a great side dish for the holidays. We enjoy it for Christmas. Father’s Day. You name the holiday, our family is enjoying this as a side dish.
How to make Hashbrown Casserole
Throw all the ingredients (except the potato chips) into a bowl and give it a good stir. Use some muscle!
Press into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
Top with crushed potato chips. Yum! My kids love this step.
Bake in a preheated 350˚F oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and the middle internal temperature reaches 160˚ F. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
This cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe truly is the perfect side dish for any occasion. I know my family is excited when I make it. Enjoy!
Can you freeze hashbrown casserole?
Yes. Make as directed (leaving out the potato chips) and cover to freeze. Let thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours. Bake as directed.
Do I need to thaw the hashbrowns before making this recipe?
No, you do not have to. However, it’s easier to make this recipe if you do thaw them ahead of time. I place the bag of hashbrowns in the refrigerator the night before I plan to make this recipe.
More Potato Recipes You’ll LovePrint
This is my family’s favorite casserole to make as a side dish! Cheesy hashbrown casserole will soon be one of your favorites as well! It’s easy to make and absolutely delicious!
- 1 bag Southern style hashbrowns, thawed
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 Pint sour cream
- 2 Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried onions
- 2 Cups potato chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Melt butter and add to thawed hashbrowns in a large bowl. Stir.
- Add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese and dry onions to hashbrowns. Mix well.
- Add to buttered 9×13 baking pan. Top with crushed potato chips.
- Bake in pre-heated 350˚F oven for 60 – 75 minutes or until the middle internal temperature reaches 160˚F and the edges are bubbly.
Make Ahead Directions: Make as directed except leave the potato chips off the casserole until just before baking. Can be store in the refrigerator for 24 hours before baking.
Freezer Directions: Make as directed except leave off the potato chips. Cover and store in the freezer up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Add potato chips and bake as directed.
- Calories: 363
- Sodium: 371.6
- Fat: 27.3
- Carbohydrates: 20.7
- Protein: 10.4
- Cholesterol: 56.5
Keywords: hashbrown casserole, Cheesy hashbrown casserole, easy hashbrown casserole
The recipe was originally published in June 2013. It has been updated with pictures and descriptions. The recipe is the same.