This broccoli and cheese casserole is so easy to make with few ingredients! Layer tender broccoli, condensed soup, cheese, and buttery croutons to make this classic favorite.
I didn’t realize until I was an adult how much I loved our traditions and the consistency they bring to each season. Like the broccoli cheese dip we make for any sports party, this broccoli and cheese casserole is our favorite side dish for any big family meal. When I smell it baking in the oven, I am brought back to the different seasons of my life.
What I Love About This Recipe
- It’s easy to make with very few ingredients. While I don’t always reach for the condensed soups in my recipes, it’s worth it once in awhile for ease.
- Make this recipe ahead of time with frozen broccoli. Simply layer as directed and store in the refrigerator to thaw the broccoli overnight. Bake the next day.
- It makes quite a few servings which is why it’s perfect for big family meals.
Broccoli and Cheese Key Ingredients
- Broccoli Florets – You want to make sure to purchase the florets for this recipe as you want the best part of the broccoli. You can use either frozen or fresh, although I recommend frozen if you’re making this ahead of time.
- Croutons – Choose a basic crouton with a buttery taste. Avoid Ceasar, ranch, or other heavily flavored croutons.
- Cheese – My mom always used good ol’ American cheese. I like to purchase a quality deli American cheese to control the thickness.
This recipe will literally take you five minutes to throw together. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray then layer the following.
- Broccoli Florets
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- American Cheese
- Prepped croutons.
Every time I make this dish I’m taken back to big family gatherings. It’s amazing how the scent of things baking in the oven can take us back to those childhood moments. It’s why I love making these classic dishes and sharing them with you. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead – If making this dish the day before, use frozen broccoli. Make as directed. Cover the 9×13 baking dish with plastic wrap or a cover and store it in the refrigerator until you bake it the next day.
Storing Leftovers – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole – another make-ahead side dish for big gatherings
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes – one of my favs!
- Easy Traditional Homemade Stuffing – the classic!
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- 30 oz frozen broccoli florets thawed
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 8 slices American cheese
- 10 oz croutons
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees˚ F and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Create a base layer of broccoli in the baking pan. Spoon cream of mushroom soup over it. Top with American cheese.
- In a bowl mix the melted butter and water. Pour over the croutons and mix. Add the croutons to the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the broccoli is fully cooked and the cheese has melted.
This recipe was originally published December, 2016. It has been updated with better instructions and photographs.