Chicken pot pie is a hearty dish consisting of chicken, vegetables, and a thick, creamy sauce. It’s a very popular comfort food recipe to make! This chicken pot pie is made with a super simple cakey biscuit like top which means no pie crust – making it an easy recipe.
Table of Contents
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
There’s nothing like a good homemade chicken pot pie all bubbly in the oven. The delicious smell of the vegetables and chicken in a creamy sauce makes it such a favorite in our home. Making this super simple recipe is easy with these quick and easy instructions.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
What Makes This Chicken Pot Pie Easy?
No pie crust! I love a good pie crust like the next gal. (Trust me, I have a lot of pie recipes.) But sometimes you just want it easy while still getting that delicious creamy chicken pot pie filling. This recipe is layers of ingredients with no pie dough to roll out – but you still get that crusty top with that buttery flavor.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling & Top Crust
Chicken pot pie is all about the filling and the crust! And these super simple ingredients will have you singing this recipe’s praises!
- cooked diced chicken – This is a perfect use for leftover chicken or even rotisserie chicken!
- frozen vegetables – I like using the pre-bagged corn, peas, carrots and green beans but you can use any combo you prefer.
- can of cream of celery – You can substitute cream of chicken if you would like. I prefer the celery.
- chicken broth – Quality chicken broth is a must! I use better than bouillon mixed with water to make this recipe extra easy.
- ground pepper – Don’t skip! This gives the recipe an extra bit of flavor!
- baking mix – I use Bisquick which is easy to keep on hand since you can make so many things with it.
- milk – Using 2% worked great for this recipe, but whole or 1% would work as well.
- butter – I prefer using melted butter to create a more cake-y top crust. You can use cold butter if you would prefer to make more of a biscuit topping.
How to Make The Chicken Pot Pie
This is a very classic recipe that has loads of baked in delicious taste. It’s simple to make with the layers of ingredients and is a filling all in one meal with veggies, chicken and breaded topper!
- Prep: Lightly add cooking spray to a deep dish pie pan or square baking dish.
- 1st Layer: Spread the cooked chicken on the bottom of the pan.
- 2nd Layer: Spread the frozen vegetables on top of the chicken.
- Create the pie filling: In a bowl, stir together the cream of celery, chicken broth, butter and pepper. Pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Top Crust: Mix together the baking mix, butter and milk. Pour over the top to form the crust.
- Bake: Bake in a preheated 400˚ F oven for 40-50 minutes or until the edges are bubbling and the top crust is golden brown. If you find the top crust is getting too brown, place foil on top to finish baking.
What to Serve with Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe has it all! But if you’re looking for ideas on elevating this meal, serve it alongside mashed potatoes.
Storage & How to Reheat
Store leftovers in the refrigerator. When ready to reheat, reheat in the oven at 350˚ F until the internal temperature reaches 160˚ F. You an also microwave but you’ll love the crunch of the top crust. Still equally delicious.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variations
- Cut in the butter to the baking mix. Then add the milk. This will add more of a biscuit topping for your pot pie.
- Instead of cream of celery, you can substitute cream of chicken.
- Instead of mixed vegetables, you can use only a mixture of peas and corn.
- If you want to avoid canned creamed soups, make a roux with flour, butter, and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to flavor.
- Double the vegetables and leave out the chicken to make this recipe vegetarian.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 deep dish pie pan
- 3 Cups cooked chicken cubed
- 10 oz frozen vegetables
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 10.5 oz can cream of celery undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 Cup baking mix
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Lightly grease with butter a deep pie pan or square baking dish.
- Spread chicken onto the bottom of the baking dish. Top with frozen vegetables.
- In a bowl, mix the canned soup, chicken broth, and pepper. Pour over chicken and frozen vegetables.
Pie Top Crust
- Mix in a small bowl the baking mix, butter, and milk. Pour over the chicken mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 400˚ F oven for 40-50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160˚ F and the top crust is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.