Easy crockpot apple butter recipe made with applesauce, apple cider, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
My sister sent me her dear friend’s easy crockpot apple butter recipe andI knew I had to give it a try. I have vivid memories of watching apple butter be made in a large pot outside our elementary school each and every year. What a treat it was at the end of the day when we got to experience homemade apple butter! Now, I can enjoy those flavors each and every year!
Here’s Why this is The Best Apple Butter
- It’s made with canned unsweetened applesauce which means you can make it any time of year.
- This recipe makes your house smell amazing.
- It makes enough to last you through the fall and then some.
- You can freezer can it to enjoy for months and months.
To make this easy crockpot apple butter with applesauce recipe you will need:
- unsweetened applesauce
- apple cider
- ground cloves
- ground allspice
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
How to Make Apple Butter In A Crockpot
Add all the ingredients to a medium sized crockpot. Stir and set on high uncovered for 8 hours. You can let it go longer if you like it thicker or for a shorter amount of time if you like it less thick.
After 8 hours my apple butter was nice and thick and delicious. Don’t be afraid to taste!
I turned off the crockpot and let it cool for awhile. After it was cool to the touch, I place the apple butter into 8 ounce jelly jars.
And that’s it! It’s so easy to make this apple butter and it makes a perfect gift. After they were cooled down, I placed a lid on the jars and placed them in a freezer. You can freeze them for up to a year.
Crockpot Apple Butter Tips
What do you eat apple butter with? We enjoy apple butter on a slice of thick toasted bread.
Apple Butter vs Applesauce. What’s the difference? Apple sauce and apple butter are very similar in ingredients. However, apple butter is cooked for much longer leaving a much thicker concentrated resulted that can easily be spread on bread, muffins and other baked goods.
How do you know when apple butter is done? Apple butter will get thick and dark in color. Use a spoon to remove some apple butter. When you turn the spoon upside down and the apple butter remains in place, you know that the apple butter is done.
How long does apple butter last in the refrigerator? Apple butter will stay good in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Making this recipe not only made my home smell amazing, but because I could purchase the applesauce at the store, I was able to make it right when I wanted to. We’ve got lots of jars in our freezer and I’m looking forward to crockpot apple butter all year long!
More Apple Recipes
- Homemade Apple Strudel Recipe
- Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
- Apple Dumplings Recipe
- Canning Homemade Applesauce
Apple Butter from Applesauce
- 8 Cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 Cups apple cider
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cook on high, uncovered, for 8 hours. (Less or more time based on thickness desired.)
- After it reaches your desired thickness, turn off the slow cooker and let cool.
- Add to storage jars with lid. Place in the freezer and freeze for up to one year. Keep refrigerated when thawed.