Delicious baked BBQ Wings bathed in a homemade zesty sauce. Made perfect in the oven instead of being fried, these wings will remind you of your favorite sports bar.
Barbecue chicken wings used to be something my husband and I enjoyed at sports bars. Our favorite place sold us hot delicious wings in a basket with a side of blue cheese and celery. We’d use up a whole stack of napkins and watch the big game. Fast forward to a few years with four young kids. Sports bars are no longer our preferred place to eat as a family, but oh how we missed those barbecue chicken wings! So, my friends, what to do except bring on the clever and make it simple…and create your own!
Here’s Why These BBQ Chicken Wings are Our Favorite
- Homemade barbecue chicken wings require very few ingredients and take only 90 minutes from start to finish.
- The wings are not deep-fried like our sports bars of yesterday. They are baked crispy on the outside and slathered in a homemade zesty sauce.
- Our kids love them! Except now we find ourselves eating them in front of a Disney movie instead of the Buckeyes, but hey, it was really about the wings anyway, right?
BBQ Wings Recipe Ingredients
- 3 – 5 pounds of chicken wings (3 pounds is plenty for our family of 5)
- your favorite hot wing sauce
- your favorite sweet barbecue sauce.
Here is my recipe for a homemade barbecue sauce that we use on everything.
How To Make Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
Step1: You can get your wings pre-cut, but to save money, we buy our wings uncut and cut them ourselves. It’s very easy! A chicken wing has three parts to it : the drumette (or drumstick) the wingette (or wing) and the wing tip.
Using a sharp knife, separate the drumstick from the wing. You can keep the wing tip attached or discard the tiny tip (our preferred method) since they are hard to eat. For simplicity, I’m going to refer to the chicken parts as just wings throughout this post.
Step 2: Boil up a stockpot of water with salt and then add your wings. When the water returns to boil, boil for 6 minutes.
Step 3: Remove the hot wings and place them on a cooling rack on top of a paper towel to catch the water drops. You can pat them dry with a paper towel or just wait a couple of minutes until they air dry.
Step 4: Space the wings out evenly on an un-greased pan and bake them in a preheated 450 degree oven for 25 minutes. Three pounds of chicken will fit on a large jelly roll pan such as this. More than three pounds will require two pans that will need to be alternated halfway through the cooking time.
After 25 minutes, the wings should be sizzling to the pan. With a metal spatula, loosen them up and flip each one over. Here I am flipping over my first one. Just look at the crispy golden skin! Put the wings back into the hot oven for another 6 minutes.
Homemade Sauce for BBQ Wings
Step 5: While we are waiting for the wings to finish, let’s make our special sauce! For 3-4 pounds of chicken, mix salted butter, hot wing sauce (we like Frank’s) and your favorite sweet barbecue sauce. If you prefer a more spicy recipe, switch the hot sauce and barbecue amounts. This may not seem like enough sauce, but you don’t need much to coat! Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and set aside.
Step 6: When the timer goes off, move the crispy wings to a bowl, pour on your sauce and, using a lid, shake the bowl until the sauce evenly coats each piece.
Fresh, hot, sweet, spicy, sticky, full of flavor BBQ chicken wings. We think they are better than what we had at the sports bar. Plus, we can serve ourselves a big side of spinach salad with endless blue cheese.
Grab a giant stack of napkins and be prepared for finger lickin’ greatness! Enjoy!
BBQ Wings In Oven Tips:
Is the chicken frozen or defrosted when you start this recipe? The chicken is fully defrosted.
Can I use parchment paper to keep the wings from sticking to the pan when baking? If you want that crispy edge, we recommend using an un-greased pan to bake them.
What size wings do you use to make homemade bbq wings? The wings are typically of average size at your local grocery store. If you feel your wings are smaller or larger than normal, adjust the cooking time. Be sure they are fully cooked before serving.
Should you use drumsticks or wings for this recipe? You can use either or both!
What if I like my wings to be spicer? You can adjust the spiciness by the type of hot sauce you use in this recipe.
More Oven Baked Appetizers
Homemade BBQ Wings
- 3-5 pounds chicken wings drumsticks and wingettes
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 Tablespoons hot wing sauce
- 4 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 450˚ F.
- Boil up a stockpot of water with 1 Tablespoon of salt. Add in 3-5 pounds of separated chicken wings. When the water returns to boil, boil for 6 minutes.
- Remove hot wings; place them on a cooling rack atop a paper towel to drain dry. Space them out evenly on an un-greased pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, loosen them up with a metal spatula and flip each one over. Put the wings back into the hot oven for another 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your sauce. For 3-4 pounds of chicken, mix 2 Tablespoons salted butter, 2 Tablespoons hot wing sauce and 4 Tablespoons of your favorite sweet barbecue sauce. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and set aside.
- When the timer goes off, move the crispy wings to a bowl, pour on your sauce. With the lid closed, shake the bowl until the sauce evenly coats each piece.
- Serve immediately