Easy scalloped potatoes recipe made with skin-on red potatoes and a delicious five ingredient cream sauce created in your blender. No chopping necessary! These simple scalloped potatoes are ready for your next summer meal.
Summer is here! Maybe not officially, but the grills are going strong amidst the warm weather and sunshine. As most of you know, we are a game eating family! My husband loves to prepare delicious cuts of venison like this smoked tenderloin for weeknight dinner. I’m always trying to find complimentary sides to go with them. How about you?
In my recent search for a homemade potato dish, I had a hard time finding a recipe that didn’t require immense chopping or prep work. So, I created my own! This original recipe is skin on red potatoes cooked in a five ingredient cream sauce created entirely in the blender; just pour and bake! Think scalloped potatoes, but simpler, and man is it good! These scalloped potatoes are now a favorite compliment to hubby’s venison and I’m delighted to share it with you!
Are you ready to make some simple scalloped potatoes?
Ingredients for Simple Scalloped Potatoes
Here are the fresh ingredients you’ll need to make this side dish.
- Red skin potatoes
- Chicken broth
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Heavy whipping cream
Step 1: Slice the Potatoes and bake
In a 13×9 pan lightly greased with olive oil, slice up your red potatoes (skin-on) and layer them just like pictured. Sprinkle the potatoes with ¼ tsp. salt and pepper and bake the potatoes (uncovered) in a HOT 450˚ F oven. Baking them in the oven without sauce for the first half is key to get that crispy skin. Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Blend the sauce
While the potatoes are baking, combine all remaining ingredients into a blender, including the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/3 cup of cheese. (The remaining 2/3 cup cheese will be used for our topping.) Blend it all until pureed. It’s that’s simple! Don’t worry if the sauce looks thin. It will thicken up perfectly as the potatoes cool.
Step 3: Pour on the sauce on potatoes and bake
When the timer goes off, pour the cream sauce over the potatoes and bake (uncovered) for an additional 10 minutes.
Step 4: Add cheese topping and bake
Top the potatoes with the reserved 2/3 cup cheese and bake for a final 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. This is usually about the time that the venison is coming off the grill for its resting phase.
Step 5: Garnish and cool
Allow the potatoes to cool for 10 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken up to a perfect consistency. We love to serve this with asparagus or broccoli and spooning some of that creamy cheese sauce on top.
Summer is a great time to try new recipes like this one and you won’t be disappointed! Simple scalloped potatoes are an easy complement to your next weeknight dinner. There won’t be much left at the end 🙂
More Potato Recipes
Simple Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 lb. red potatoes
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1/3 Cup sour cream
- 1/3 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- fresh cracked black pepper
- In a 13x9 pan lightly greased with olive oil, slice up your red potatoes (skin-on) and layer them accordion style. Sprinkle the potatoes with ¼ tsp. salt and pepper and bake the potatoes (uncovered) in a preheated 450˚ F oven for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine all remaining ingredients into a blender, including the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and only 1/3 cup of cheese. (The remaining 2/3 cup cheese will be used for our topping) Blend it all until pureed.
- When the timer goes off, pour the cream sauce over the potatoes and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Top the potatoes with the reserved 2/3 cup cheese and bake for a final 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cut chives (optional) and allow the potatoes to cool for 10 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken up.