Easy scalloped potatoes recipe using red potatoes and a creamy homemade sauce that thickens as you bake.
- 2 lb. red potatoes
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 Cup sour cream
- 1/3 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh cracked black pepper
- In a 13×9 pan lightly greased with olive oil, slice up your red potatoes (skin-on) and layer them accordion style. Sprinkle the potatoes with ¼ tsp. salt and pepper and bake the potatoes (uncovered) in a preheated 450˚ F oven for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine all remaining ingredients into a blender, including the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and only 1/3 cup of cheese. (The remaining 2/3 cup cheese will be used for our topping) Blend it all until pureed.
- When the timer goes off, pour the cream sauce over the potatoes and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Top the potatoes with the reserved 2/3 cup cheese and bake for a final 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cut chives (optional) and allow the potatoes to cool for 10 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken up.
Adaptations: Add a garlic clove to the blender as well
To Make Vegetarian: Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Double Recipe: This recipe can easily be doubled. Use an 11×17″ pan with your doubled recipe.
- Category: side dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 1.9
- Sodium: 397
- Fat: 8.9
- Carbohydrates: 19.5
- Protein: 6.9
- Cholesterol: 26
Keywords: scalloped potatoes