Spinach and rice casserole is full of flavor with the combination of fresh spinach, cheddar cheese, and onions baked together until golden brown. Serve alongside homemade biscuits for a hearty dinner.
This spinach rice casserole recipe is a new family favorite! I love it because it’s so easy to make with ingredients I usually have on hand. My family loves it because it’s delicious!
Spinach and Rice Key Ingredients
This recipe using traditional ingredients you most likely have on hand.
- Fresh spinach: you’ll want to use fresh spinach with this recipe. Frozen spinach that is thawed will work, but the flavors really come out when you use fresh.
- Boiled or Steamed Rice: I used basic white rice with this recipe, but you can use any variety since you’ll be measuring one cup of fully cooked rice. Just follow the directions you have on your rice packaging.
- Cheddar Cheese: Here’s where you can really add some flavor! Use sharp cheddar for a rich taste, or mild cheddar for something more smooth. Either way, I recommend shredding your own since I think it melts better than pre-shredded cheese.
How to Make This Recipe
- Make rice according to the package directions. You will need 1 cup of fully cooked rice for this recipe.
- To wilt the fresh spinach add 3 tablespoons of water to a large stockpot. Add the spinach and place the lid onto the stockpot. Turn the stove onto medium heat and allow the spinach to wilt while stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk your eggs together. Add the remaining ingredients including the cooked rice and wilted spinach. Stir until well incorporated.
- Put your spinach mixture into a greased 8×8 or 1.5-quart baking pan. Bake at 325˚ F for 40 minutes.
Freezer Directions: This recipe freezes really well. Make as directed (and do not bake). Cover well in saran wrap and foil. Label and freeze up to 3 months. When ready to bake let thaw overnight and bake as directed.
Storing Leftovers: This reheats really well in the microwave. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days.
Double Recipe: This recipe can be easily doubled to make a larger portion. Make sure to double the pan size.
More Recipes Made with Rice
Spinach and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 Cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup cooked rice measured after cooking it
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onions
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Cook the rice as your package instructs. Set aside one cup.
- Place two tablespoons of water and fresh spinach into a large stockpot and cover. Cook on medium heat until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add remaining ingredients including rice and spinach. Stir.
- Place into a greased 8x8 or 1.5-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 325˚ F for 40 minutes or until set in the middle.
This recipe was originally shared May, 2014. It has been updated with better photos but the recipe remains the same.