Create this easy taco soup with beans, ground beef and diced tomatoes for a twist on tacos. This delicious, flavorful soup is perfect simmered for 30 minutes or use the slow cooker for an easy weeknight meal.
When I’m on the hunt for easy and hearty, I turn to soup. Especially this time of year, soup is where it is at. So after uncovering this easy taco soup recipe from my grandma’s recipe box, I had to give it a try. Pretty much you brown the hamburger, add the other ingredients and after some time simmering — taco soup!
How to Make Good Taco Soup
The start to any good soup is a good recipe. After that it is great ingredients. I am a little picky when it comes to my tomato ingredients. There reallllly is a difference in taste. Good tomatoes make good diced tomatoes, tomato juice etc. I’ve been buying RedPack at my local grocery stores and now the RedPack brand has been replaced with Red Gold. The label is the only thing that has changed.
See! The exact same thing. So when this recipe called for two cans of diced tomatoes and I had one of each – I had no concerns for using them both. Because good tomatoes are good tomatoes. Both Redpack and Red Gold are made by the same family owned company, grown on the same family farm using the same great tomatoes. So pretty much, the same exact thing.
How Long Does It Takes to Make Taco Soup?
Brown the ground beef and drain. Add two cans of diced tomatoes, the red beans, white corn, taco seasoning and dry ranch seasoning. And then let it simmer. It could not be easier. I had this soup ready with just 30 minutes of simmering.
What Sides To Serve With Taco Soup
We served homemade quesadillas and tortilla chips with our taco soup. I also added a spoonful of sour cream and some chopped cilantro. Yum!
This soup recipe can be adapted to make it delicious for your family or to use up what you have on hand.
- Frozen Corn: Instead of canned corn, add 3 cups of frozen corn and 1/2 Cup of water.
- Chicken: I love making this recipe with 3 cups of chicken. Cook the chicken before stirring the ingredients together. Or better yet, use rotisserie chicken.
- Added Veggies: I like to add chopped peppers or onions if i have some on hand!
Will I be making this soup again. Yes. I’m always making chili and this was a nice way to break it up. It also made great leftovers which is good because this recipe makes a lot of soup!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef fully cooked and drained
- 30 oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 30 oz corn
- 30 oz Red Gold diced tomatoes
- 1 envelope mild taco seasoning
- 1 TB + 1 tsp of dry ranch seasoning
- tortilla chips optional side
- sour cream optional topping
- cilantro optional topping
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- To a large stock pot add cooked ground beef, red beans, white corn and diced tomatoes. Stir.
- Add taco seasoning packet and 4 teaspoons of dry ranch seasoning.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes. Serve hot topped with sour cream and cilantro.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
More Soup Recipes
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – tastes just like stuffed peppers
- Ham and Bean Soup – super easy and the perfect use of leftover ham
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
This recipe conversation was sponsored by Red Gold Tomatoes. All opinions are my own.
Comments & Reviews
Ben Myhre says
This looks like winner! Full of flavors, quick from the stove to table, and who doesn’t like taco stuff?
Britt @ A Lil' Sweet, Spice, & Advice says
I love 30 minute soups, but the real question is who doesn’t?! With these flavors guests can think you slaved in the kitchen for a few hours to prepare this soup.
Rezel Kealoha says
You are just pure genius making taco into a soup! Love the idea!