Tender and fluffy egg casserole filled with fresh peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, cheese, cream and of course, eggs. Customize with sausage and other seasonal vegetables to feed a crowd or make ahead to freeze for busy nights.
- 6 oz. thawed frozen spinach or 1 pound fresh spinach
- 8 oz. ground sausage (optional)
- 7 large eggs
- 8 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Drain all excess water from the spinach.
- In a large saucepan, saute your vegetables and meat in 1-2 T. of butter. Cook on medium high heat until the vegetables are tender and the meat is browned.
- While the vegetables cool down, get out a large bowl and add your eggs, cheese, spinach, cream, dried dill, salt and pepper. Mix it all together.
- Add your saucepan ingredients and stir it all together.
- Pour the casserole batter into a greased or non-stick mini loaf pan or muffin tin, filling them ¾ full.
Bake the loaves at 350˚ F for 18-20 minutes or until you see the sides of them pull away from the pan.
This recipe can easily be doubled….or tripled!
Freezer ready? Freeze the loaves in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or microwave them on a lower heat setting until heated through.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg casserole, baked egg casserole, egg casserole without bread