The best ooey gooey butter cake recipe! Start with a layer of pound cake (using a box mix) and top with a creamy layer. This easy dessert recipe is the perfect addition to any meal.
Oeey Gooey Butter Cake
Yum. This gooey butter cake is amazing. The flavors take me back to when my grandma would serve this at a family event. And now I know why. It’s super simple to make (using a pound cake box mix) and is the perfect make ahead dessert like the chocolate cherry cake recipe. This dessert is sweet the lemon cake but not overpowering.
Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
First Layer – Mix the pound cake mix, two eggs and butter. Mix it for one minute in your mixer with medium speed. Add the mixture to a 9×13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. The batter will be thick so just be patient with it.
Second Layer Sift your powered sugar. To an empty bowl, add the softened cream cheese to your mixer and mix until fluffy. (About 2 minutes on medium speed.) Once fluffy, add 2 eggs and the vanilla. Mix well. Add the powdered sugar and mix well, again.
Pour the mixer on top of the original pound mix batter. I added it by large spoonfuls and then used a spatula to even it. Dust with powdered sugar.
Bake in a 350˚ F oven for 45 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
What you’ll have is a layer of dense pound cake topped with a creamy layer. Sprinkle the cooled ooey gooey butter cake with powdered sugar. This cake is divine with a cup of coffee at the end of a delicious meal. And the leftovers are great for breakfast. I would know.
Gooey Butter Cake From Scratch Tips
Should I refrigerate this after it cools? I did because of the cream cheese in the recipe. Because it’s baked, you can leave it covered at room temperature for 1 to 2 days. Because I wanted it to last longer I kept it in the refrigerator.
How long does it take for the cream cheese to soften? I would set your cream cheese out on the counter about 15 minutes before you start the recipe. It should be soft in about 30 minutes but you don’t want to leave it out too longer. Unlike butter, it can sour if you leave it at room temperature.
What’s the best way to sift the powdered sugar? I use a fine mesh strainer like this one. It makes it super simple to add to the top or within the ingredients. It’s very important that you sift the powdered sugar with this recipe to avoid lumps.
Do I follow the pound cake mix instructions? No. You will use the dry mix and combine it with the softened butter and eggs as the recipe states below.
More Cake Recipes
Gooey Butter cake
- 16 oz pound cake mix
- 1/2 Cup butter softened
- 4 large eggs divided
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 Cups powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- In a mixer, combine the pound cake mix, softened butter and two eggs for one minute on medium speed. Add to 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spread evenly.
- Add cream cheese to your clean mixing bowl and beat until fluffy, about two minutes on medium-high. Add 2 eggs and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Sift powdered sugar and add to cream cheese mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour onto pound cake mixture in 9x13 pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 350˚ F oven. Let cool before sprinkling with powdered sugar and serving.
This recipe was originally shared April, 2014. It has been updated to capture new pictures of the same recipe.