Easy ground beef casserole that’s the perfect throw together dinner on a busy weeknight! Made with pasta, and layers of homemade tomato sauce, this dinner recipe is a crowd pleaser!
Ground Beef Casserole
We eat a lot of pasta in my home. I’m not against it, but sometimes I want something a bit different than spaghetti with meatballs or lasagna. This ground beef casserole takes all the flavors you find in your favorite Italian recipe to the next level. And it’s super easy to throw together which makes it a winner in my book. It’s no wonder I found this recipe in my grandma’s recipe box.
I did adapt this recipe as I found that it wasn’t saucy enough for our tastes and the cheesy layer was a bit too rich. I took the cheesy layer and cut it in half while doubling the sauce. What developed was a perfectly saucy ground beef casserole with a layer of rich cheesy flavor that’s similar to million dollar casserole but better.
How to Make Ground Beef Casserole
Brown the ground beef with onions until cooked through. Drain the fat. Stir in the tomato sauce and sugar. Spray a medium casserole dish (7×11 inches). Pour in half of the spaghetti sauce with ground beef as your base layer.
Boil your pasta according to the box instructions and drain. Layer with half of the pasta.
In a bowl, combine cheeses, sour cream, green onion, green pepper, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover the pasta layer with all the cheese mixture.
Top with remaining pasta. Add the remaining spaghetti sauce with ground beef to the top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350˚F oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm with a side of dinner rolls and a fresh salad.
This recipe was a big hit with my boys and because of the creaminess of this cheesy ground beef casserole. Bonus points for the fact that it made great leftovers. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as we did!
More Casserole Recipes
Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 Cup onions chopped
- 32 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces pasta
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese shaved
- Preheat oven 350˚ F.
- Brown ground beef over medium heat with onions. Drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce, sugar and set aside.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions and drain. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cheeses, sour cream, green onions, green pepper, salt, pepper and garlic pepper. Set aside.
- Spray a 3 quart casserole pan with cooking spray.
- Add half of the meat mixture to form the bottom layer.
- Layer with half of the pasta.
- Cover with all the cheese mixture.
- Layer with remaining pasta.
- Top with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with shaved parmesan.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30 minutes. Serve warm.