Easy ground beef stroganoff recipe that features a delicious creamy sauce served over egg noodles. This classic dinner recipe makes great leftovers!
Stumbling onto this ground beef stroganoff recipe on a little newspaper clipping – made me super excited. Why? One of my favorites the macaroni and cheese recipe was found the same way. I always figure that if someone was going to write in and put their recipe down in the newspaper – then it was going to be good. Also, with venison stroganoff being so delicious I knew this recipe would not disappoint.
Ground Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
- ground beef
- minced onions
- garlic powder
- dry milk
- beef broth (or beef bouillon with water)
- cream of mushroom soup
How to Make Stroganoff
This recipe is straight forward and simple to make. Let the sauce simmer as long as you like. The longer it simmers, the thicker the sauce.
- Brown the ground beef and drain. Sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir. Add the onions, garlic, and pepper. Cook over low heat for five minutes stirring.
- Combine the dry milk and beef broth. Add the liquid and soup to the beef mixture. Stir until well blended and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 40 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or rice.
While most recipes I share do not have canned soup, sometimes it’s nice to take it back to Campbell’s and have an easy dinner. This one not only was a big hit for dinner, but I froze the leftovers over egg noodles and it was delicious when heated up. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family has!
Beef Stroganoff Tips and Techniques:
Beef: You can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken in this recipe. I prefer the rich flavor of ground beef in recipes like shepherd’s pie and this one, but a substitute would give you the same texture. I would probably up the beef bouillon if using something other than beef to maintain the same great flavor.
Beef Broth: I keep better than bouillon in my refrigerator to make broth. Not only is it easy, but it allows you to control the depth of flavors. One jar will last you a long time.
Egg Noodles: You can serve this over egg noodles (which is what I prefer) or rice. Both are delicious. It doesn’t matter the width of the egg noodles you purchase. It’s purely personal taste.
More Ground Beef Dinner Recipes
- Ground Beef Casserole – a family favorite!
- Million Dollar Casserole
- Skillet Macaroni and Beef Recipe– another vintage recipe!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/8 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 Cup dried onions
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Cup nonfat dry milk
- 3 Cups beef broth
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- egg noodles or rice
- Brown the ground beef and drain. Sprinkle with flour over beef and stir. Add the remaining seasongs and stir to combine. Cook for five minutes over low heat.
- Combine the dry milk and beef broth. Add the broth and cream of mushroom soup to the beef mixture. Stir until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 40 minutes or until desired thickness. Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice.