A healthy zucchini bread recipe that is also vegan when made with the flax egg! Combining dark brown sugar, coconut oil and even cashews make this a unique but delicious zucchini bread recipe!
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax meal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews or other nut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ground flax meal with 5-6 tablespoons of water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, 1 ½ tsp. baking soda, ½ tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. salt, 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon and ¼ tsp. fresh ground nutmeg.
- Using a food processor or grater, shred 1 ½ cups of zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the shredded zucchini, ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, ½ cup dark brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, your thickened flax eggs and ¼ cup melted coconut oil.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the dry bowl and stir until just combined.
- Chop up 5 medjool dates and 1/2 cup of roasted cashews. Fold them into your batter and spread the batter into a greased standard size loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean.
- Remove the bread from the pan immediately and allow it to cool before slicing.
Do you have to peel zucchini to make zucchini bread?
Nope! Unless you find an unbelievable amount of wax in which you might want to, you can just shred away.
How to grate zucchini to make zucchini bread
Just like I shared above, I throw it all in my food processor. You can also use a grater. It works just as well.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: healthy zucchini bread, vegan zucchini bread