Traditional cherry kuchen made from scratch!
- 2 TB warm water
- 1 1/8 tsp yeast
- 1 TB sugar, divided (1 tsp + 2tsp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 Cup flour
Kuchen Filling – Cherry
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 2 Cans (15 oz each) pitted, red tart cherries in water, drained
- Kuchen Pastry
- Mix water and yeast. Add 1 tsp sugar. Mix well. Let mixture rise for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sugar, vanilla, salt and beaten egg.
- Cut butter into flour in separate bowl. Add yeast mixture and mix well.
- Divide the soft dough into two ball. Roll one ball to fit bottom and half way up the sides of a 6×10 glass pan.
- Make kuchen filling by mixing the flour and sugar. Add the drained cherries and mix well.
- Add the kuchen filling to the dough in the pan. Roll the second ball of dough to fit the top of the kuchen pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes covering the top loosely with foil during the last 10 – 20 minutes of baking
- Category: Dessert