This homemade brownie recipe is insanely delicious. You’ll never go back to box mix! Made with cocoa powder, it’s created with pantry ingredients to create a fudgy, rich brownie that will be a hit with your family!
I’m probably like you and thought that store box mixes were the best when it came to brownies. Wanting to get the rich fudgy texture just seemed to be a dream when it came to homemade. However, after making marshmallow brownies, I decided to take off the toppings and let that delicious chocolate flavor stand on it’s own.
Here’s why I think you need to give these a try:
- They can be made in one single bowl by hand. Yes, one bowl! Super simple and easy!
- They’re made with only seven ingredients that you most likely have on hand!
- This recipe creates a super fudgy rich brownie with that bit of crackle texture on the top. Yes, the one you love. It’s all there in this recipe! It is possible!
Homemade Brownie Recipe Ingredients
The key to homemade brownies is pantry ingredients that are added in a specific order to create that fudgy brownie that you desire.
Butter: You use a lot of butter in this recipe, and so you want it to be good quality butter. No margarine as it will change the recipe.
Granulated Sugar: That sweetness that you crave comes from the sugar. You only need regular white sugar. The sugar balances the unsweetened cocoa powder.
Cocoa Powder: The depth of flavor and richness comes from the cocoa powder. No chocolate in this recipe!
Salt: What’s a recipe without salt to bring out the flavor.
Eggs: You want to use large eggs as the change in size will effect the end result of the recipe. Eggs give the brownies their structure.
Pure Vanilla Extract: I highly recommend getting good quality vanilla extract that is pure. There really is a different in flavor and taste.
All Purpose Flour: Lightly spoon your flour into your measuring cup to make sure you get the right amount for the recipe. Too much and your brownies will become chocolate cake!
How to Make Brownies from Scratch
There is a specific order to mix the ingredients in a single bowl. This order ensures that the sugar is dissolved but also provides the fudgy texture that you’re aiming for.
Step 1 : Microwave the butter, cocoa, sugar and salt in a bowl. When the butter is soft (after 1 minute on high) remove from the microwave. Stir until the butter is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
Step 2: Add the eggs one at a time to the batter. Stir after each one until the egg is mixed in. Stir in the vanilla.
Step 3 : Add the flour all at once and whip or whisk vigorously by hand. You will whip the batter until you can’t see the flour anymore! You want a smooth, thick texture.
Step 4: Prep the baking pan and bake. Fully coat a 13×9 pan with cooking spray. Spread the brownie batter evenly into the pan. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes in a preheated 325˚ F oven.
How To Tell When Brownies Are Done
After baking the brownies for 30 minutes, remove them from the oven and stick a toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean, your brownies are fully baked and ready to cool!
Tips for the Best Brownies
Follow the recipe directions closely to get that fudgy texture. Skipping a step, will yield less than desirable results.
Let the brownie cool for at least an hour. We all love a warm brownie, but if it’s too warm it will fall apart.
Don’t over bake. Watch the timer carefully and test whether it’s done with a toothpick in the center of the brownies. If it comes out clean it’s fully baked. Over baking will dry out the brownies.
How to Cut Brownies
The easiest way to cut brownies is with a warm knife. Run the knife under hot water for 30 seconds. Spray with cooking spray. Slice into the brownie. What you are trying to avoid is brownie bits getting caught up on the knife.
Storing Homemade Brownies
You can store homemade brownies on the counter fully covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you store them in the refrigerator, they will last for a week!
Everyone loves those additional crunches of flavor. Here are a few of mine that i like to add.
Chocolate Chips: Add 1/2 – 1 cup of chocolate chips to take the chocolate flavor to the next level!
Nuts: I like to add walnuts to give it an added crunch as well. Add 1/2 to 1 cup, depending on how nutty you are!
Mint chocolate chip Cookies or Oreos: Yes, you read that right! Grab some good cookies and crush them up. Add 1/2 – 1 cup into the batter before baking. You can even sprinkle a few on top. Bake as directed
More Chocolate Recipes
- These brownies are made with sweet potatoes.
- If you want to take brownies to the next level, add chocolate icing.
- This recipe creates a super moist cake with cherries. Same richness with a twist.
Homemade Fudgy Brownies
- 1 Cup salted butter cut into tablespoons
- 2.5 Cups granulated sugar
- 1.5 Cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups white all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 325˚ F and lightly grease a 13×9 baking pan.
- Into a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir again to combine the ingredients until the butter is melted and the batter is smooth.
- Add the eggs to the batter one egg at a time. Stir between each egg until the egg is well incorporated. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add in the flour all at once. Stir vigorously whipping together the ingredients until you can no longer see the flour and the batter is smooth and thick.
- Spread the batter in the greased 13×9 baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven until a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for one hour before slicing for best results.
Did you create this?
Share it on Instagram and follow us on Pinterest for more Cleverly Simple recipes.
Comments & Reviews
Love the new blog design! Can’t wait to bake these brownies. They look fantastic!
Thank you! 🙂