Make Italian bread crumbs using stale bread and specific seasonings. I’ll show you step by step how to create crispy seasoned bread crumbs that are a great additional to any dish that calls for them.
Table of Contents
Why You Should Make Your Own Italian Bread Crumbs
- Never let stale bread go to waste! Use a combination of homemade bread, store bought bread, hamburger buns or any bread products that are past their prime.
- Adjust seasonings to your likeness. I am showing you a great base recipe that I use, but you can easily adjust it to what you prefer.
- Use right away or store in the freezer for when you need it. Ever found yourself without the bread crumbs you need for a recipe? You can use these bread crumbs right away in a recipe, but you can also store them in the freezer to use when you need them in the future.
Key Seasonings to Add to Italian Bread Crumbs
Of course, stale bread is the number one ingredient but the rest of the recipe is easily adaptable. Here’s what I like to add to my bread crumbs to give them that Italian flavor. You can also try the addition of dried basil. And if you have the Italian seasoning blend, you can start there as well! Make it your own!
- dried parsley – A common herb, this gives Italian bread crumbs those specs of green.
- onion powder – Add that great onion flavor with onions that are dried and then ground into a powder.
- dried oregano – Another herb that adds a great fresh flavor to the bread crumbs.
- dried thyme – Thyme adds a robust flavor that is piney and a little bitter.
- garlic powder – Sweet and a little less potent than fresh garlic.
- salt and pepper – Salt brings out the flavor and pepper adds some heat.
How to Make Fresh Homemade Bread Crumbs
Ideally a food processor works great to pulverize the stale bread. However, I only own a blender and it did the job just fine!
- Add stale bread to a blender or food processor.
- Pulverize the bread until resembling fine crumbs.
- Add seasonings and pulse until well Incorporated.
Tips and FAQ
Store your Italian seasoned bread crumbs in an airtight container in the freezer. I like to add mine to a large mason jar and store in the freezer. You can also use a storage bag. Add the bread crumbs to any recipe while frozen.
You can use any type of bread you have on hand! I like to use a mix of hamburger and hot dog buns and everyday sandwich bread. But really, it’s whatever is stale! If you find you don’t have enough, just store in the freezer whole until ready to make bread crumbs.
If your bread is very stale, you will not need to bake them. However, if you find that there is too much moisture in your bread crumbs, spread them on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 300˚ F oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Let cool and then store.
Recipes that Use Bread Crumbs
- Macaroni Casserole with Kielbasa Sausage
- Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese – bread crumbs make a great topping on this recipe!
- Chicken Imperial Recipe – bread crumbs can be used to make chicken crispy!
Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs
- 4-5 dried bread rolls or buns (enough to make 2 cups crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add stale bread to a blender or food processor. Pulverize in blender and food processor until resembling fine crumbs.
- Add seasoning and pulse until well incorporated.