Staring at the stale bread on my counter, I felt guilty throwing it away. I had a combination of homemade bread and hamburger buns and throwing them out just seemed wasteful. I could not believe how easy and fast it was to turn them into bread crumbs!
Seasonings to Add to Bread Crumb
Of course, stale bread is the number one ingredient but the rest of the recipe is easily adaptable. Here’s what I like to add to my bread crumbs to give them that Italian flavor.
- dried parsley
- onion powder
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
You can also try the addition of dried basil. And if you have the Italian seasoning blend, you can start there as well! Make it your own!
How to Make Homemade Bread Crumbs
Ideally a food processor works great to pulverize the stale bread. However, I only own a blender and it did the job just fine!
- Add stale bread to a blender or food processor.
- Pulverize the bread until resembling fine crumbs.
- Add seasonings and pulse until well Incorporated.
I like to add mine to a large mason jar and store in the freezer. I incorporate them into any recipe while frozen. Having your own homemade Italian bread crumbs on hand is the best!
What kind of bread do you need to make homemade bread crumbs?
You can use any type of bread you have on hand! I like to use a mix of hamburger and hot dog buns and everyday sandwich bread. But really, it’s whatever is stale! If you find you don’t have enough, just store in the freezer whole until ready to make bread crumbs.
More Simple Homemade Recipes
Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs
- 4-5 dried bread rolls or buns (enough to make 2 cups crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add stale bread to a blender or food processor. Pulverize in blender and food processor until resembling fine crumbs.
- Add seasoning and pulse until well incorporated.